Blue for Tyson

Students+at+Meridian+support+Sullivan+High+School+and+Tyson+Mendoza+by+wearing+blue+on+Sept.+30.+

Blue for Tyson

Students at Meridian support Sullivan High School and Tyson Mendoza by wearing blue on Sept. 30.

Karrigan True

Karrigan True

Karrigan True

Haley Grimes, Reporter

On Friday, September 27, a wreck between a Sullivan school bus and an SUV killed two people. Among the two was Tyson Gabriel Javier Mendoza, a five-year-old student who attended Sullivan Elementary School.

The school bus was headed down Illinois 32, while the SUV stopped at the intersection heading east, according to the Herald&Review. The SUV pulled out into traffic, and the bus hit the driver’s side door.

11 passengers were aboard the school bus, while the SUV had no passengers. Back in 2017, a similar bus-car wreck occurred at the same intersection, which sent five students to the hospital.

As a way to show support, school districts across the area decided to wear blue, Mendoza’s favorite color, on Monday, September 30. Meridian students and faculty participated, with nearly every student wearing the color.  The Sullivan Parent-Teacher Organization will collect money for a memorial fund, according to the district’s Facebook page.

“He was the sweetest and loving little boy. Tyson’s smile and tender heart will be deeply missed,” said the family in an obituary posted by Schilling Funeral Home.

A funeral service will be held at 1:00 pm on Thursday, October 3 at Schilling Funeral home. Mendoza’s family welcomes all attending and asks that you wear blue.