Want a sneak peek into Mamma Mia!?

Sheila Moore

Want a sneak peek into Mamma Mia!?

Gideon Hill (Harry Bright) and Allison Butler (Tanya) prepare for their lead roles in Mamma Mia! This will be Hill's first performance in any play.

Shelia Moore

Shelia Moore

Shelia Moore

Abagayle Jones, Reporter

Sheila Moore, Meridian High School’s drama coach, takes on another play. With the help of Brian Caldwell, parents and students, Moore has brought another set to Meridian’s stage. Moore, Caldwell, and many students spent a great amount of reassembling the set for Mamma Mia! 

Moore loves drama and musicals. She has put together many plays in the past and absolutely loves being a part of it, but she is not very experienced in set construction and learned how to do it through YouTube videos.

“I love casting more than anything, that’s my favorite… set design I do not like,” Moore said.

It is a challenge for Moore to find the room at Meridian High School to design sets. “I would much rather get it already done (set construction) so I can focus my efforts on the cast and getting them ready for the show,” Moore said.

The Mamma Mia! set was purchased from another school; Moore and drama participants tore the set down and took thirteen hours to put it back together.

Brian Caldwell, Caldwell Construction, helped make the magic happen. This set is Caldwell’s first time working with Moore and could see himself working together in the future.

Caldwell’s inspiration for construction came from his grandfather. He was first introduced into construction when he was fifteen years old when he volunteered at a golf tournament. The tournament director’s husband was a general contractor and Caldwell has worked with him ever since. Caldwell started his own business when he was twenty.

One of the things Caldwell enjoyed about set construction was watching the kids get involved and being hands-on with it.

Caldwell’s challenge with this design was figuring out “what goes where.”

The reason he took on construction of this set was because he thinks it is “cool and something fun to do.”

Amber Coon (Meridian High School drama student) worked alongside her mother Sonja Coon during the construction. Sonja Coon’s inspiration to do so was from her daughter.

“It’s fun (helping with construction), the kids are great and everybody is willing to help,” Sonja Coon said. She looks forward to helping Moore with more set designs in the future.

With all of the hard, time-consuming work, the drama crew pulled it off once again. Moore and drama students are pleased with the outcome of the Mamma Mia! set.

“I just want it to look beautiful with minimal work,” said Moore.