• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Welcome to high school kids

A+future+freshman+checks+out+the+yearbook+booth+at+freshman+orientation.+Students+could+visit+each+teacher%27s+booth+to+learn+more+information+about+what+classes+they+wish+to+take+in+the+future.+%22I+think+this+was+a+great+opportunity+for+new+high+school+students+to+see+what+we+have+to+offer.+My+journalism+staff+spent+time+making+posters%2C+setting+out+our+drone+and+other+fun+equipment.+Oh%2C+and+awards%2C+because+we+win+a+lot+of+those%2C%22+said+Sheila+Moore%2C+Meridian%27s+yearbook+and+newspaper+adviser.+

Welcome to high school kids

A future freshman checks out the yearbook booth at freshman orientation. Students could visit each teacher's booth to learn more information about what classes they wish to take in the future.

A future freshman checks out the yearbook booth at freshman orientation. Students could visit each teacher's booth to learn more information about what classes they wish to take in the future. "I think this was a great opportunity for new high school students to see what we have to offer. My journalism staff spent time making posters, setting out our drone and other fun equipment. Oh, and awards, because we win a lot of those," said Sheila Moore, Meridian's yearbook and newspaper adviser.

Mikayla Dahlkamp

Mikayla Dahlkamp

Mikayla Dahlkamp

Mikayla Dahlkamp, Reporter

Freshman orientation in years past meant listening to a presentation: about differences between high school and middle school, scheduling, and a chance to meet teachers. Usually, this presentation would be taken care of by Mr. Hurelbrink, MHS principal, then he would tell the parents if they wanted to tour the building. they were more than welcome.

“Probably only a quarter of the parents would actually come upstairs,” said Sheila Rappé, science teacher, “so we decided it was kind of ineffective and we were brain storming back and forth on how we could get them to stick around.”

This year, Hurelbrink wanted to try a new approach. When parents arrived, they went into the auditorium to listen to him talk for a bit, then they got to see a teacher from each department talk about what classes they offer. After the presentation, parents would exit the auditorium to see each teacher stand beside their own table, with packets that explained what classes they taught, almost as a curriculum guide.

“I tried to make it a little more interactive with the parents,” said Hurelbrink.

Teachers were also allowed to set up tables for activities that may take up students’ time outside of school such as yearbook and journalism, both run by Sheila Moore, English teacher, to bring more awareness. The kids were able to pick up an application for yearbook or become a correspondent for journalism to see if writing articles for the school (and many other tasks) is a responsibility they might take interest in.

“I think the more of those things we do, the better it looks for us at the school,” said Hurelbrink.

A big part in the change of the set up of orientation was so “parents can go, they can meet teachers, and hopefully ask some questions,” said Hurelbrink. With the help of ideas from Rappé who has been a part of not only freshman orientation, but also sixth grade orientation when she taught at the middle school.

“I suggested that they come to various stations and talk to us, and his suggestion was that he could put the pieces of the curriculum guide out on the tables,” said Rappé.

The new set up for freshman orientation was an attempt to provide more information for students and parents. In the past, if parents had a question about electives, they would automatically go to Hurelbrink. “Then there’s a long line of people there to ask me something that an English teacher or a business teacher should probably answer,” said Hurelbrink.

Next year he wants to include all of the students groups such as the FCS club and SADD “and have students talk to the kids and parents too,” said Rappé.