• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Learning beyond the basics, Moore chosen to attend national conference

The current executive producer, Kyle Farmer, and future executive producer, Karrigan True, set up for freshman orientation. The goal was to get future high school students to join journalism and show them what it is. While at CSJ's Advanced Adviser Workshop, Sheila Moore will learn many new things to teach incoming journalists.

The current executive producer, Kyle Farmer, and future executive producer, Karrigan True, set up for freshman orientation. The goal was to get future high school students to join journalism and show them what it is. While at CSJ's Advanced Adviser Workshop, Sheila Moore will learn many new things to teach incoming journalists. "There are constantly more things being introduced," said Moore.

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Karrigan True, Reporter

The Center for Scholastic Journalism’s Advanced Adviser Workshop is an event to teach experienced journalism advisers and expand their skills and knowledge. This year, the advisers will arrive at Kent State University in Ohio on July 14, and be there until July 20. You must apply to attend and only 20 people across the nation were accepted.

“When they released this opportunity was going to be a thing and I received the email, I thought ‘there’s no way I’m going to get picked,'” said Sheila Moore, MHS journalism and yearbook adviser. “I was shocked when I found out I was chosen.”

It’s important teachers who attend have enough background in journalism. For example, having knowledge of the basics of journalism allows them to advance their skills and knowledge.

“The workshop will teach advisers skills and things to go beyond the basics,” said Candace Bowen, a professor at Kent State University and director of the Center for Scholastic Journalism.

The people who attend the workshop have at least five years of adviser experience. They already know how to write leads and design a page. “They know there are more things out there and they want to go for those things,” said Bowen.

Many different experts from the scholastic journalism community will speak at the workshop. Some of them include Mike Reilley, Mandy Jenkins, and Sara Catania. “I’m hoping to learn things I didn’t even know existed,” said Moore. She just wants to be “wowed” on the trip.

A class about how to include virtual reality in journalism is among the course offerings. This is something Moore is “really excited about.” Incorporating VR into the class could take the publications to the next level.

“I am hopeful, as Mrs. Moore continues to grow her own education, this will carry over to our students,” said Eric Hurelbrink, MHS principal.