• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

Meet Jerry Brockett, Meridian’s new agriculture teacher

Meridian High School's Agricultural teacher, Jerry Brockett. He will join Meridian's staff at the start of the 2019-20 school year.

Mitchell Fransen Photography

Meridian High School's Agricultural teacher, Jerry Brockett. He will join Meridian's staff at the start of the 2019-20 school year. "It'll be an adventure, but I am excited for it," said Brockett.

Mikayla Dahlkamp, Reporter

As announced earlier in the year, Meridian High School will introduce an Agriculture Program in the 2019-2020 school year and can officially share the identity of the new teacher.

Jerry Brockett is a graduate from Cumberland High School in Toledo, IL, just shy of an hour and a half away from Meridian. Brockett is currently enrolled at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, finishing a degree in Agricultural Leadership and Science Education, with a Secondary Chemistry Endorsement.

His classes will consist of Intro to Agriculture, Plant and Animal Science, and Agricultural Business Management. In addition to Brockett’s three classes, he’ll be Meridian’s FFA sponsor.

His uncle, Charles Sappington, taught the ag classes at his high school, “so I was kind of expected but also interested in taking the classes because I came from a small town, and agriculture is all around us,” said Brockett.

He was in Ag classes himself from his freshman to senior year while still in high school, however, Brockett still didn’t know what he wanted to pursue after he walked across the stage in cap and gown. “I actually started college in Crop Sciences, but after a summer internship, I found that wasn’t for me,” said Brockett.

So, he decided to explore agriculture education through an independent study and spent his time in local high schools.  After the experience, he realized what he was truly passionate in and switched his major to ag education “and has been happy with it ever since,” said Brockett.

As far as being aware of the job, Brockett got listserv (email list management software) messages almost daily, as do all of the agricultural teachers and higher level agricultural students to help keep them updated. “I got an email that Meridian was starting an Ag Program, and from there I looked into the opportunity and applied,” said Brockett.

He is ready to be part of District 15 and enlighten Meridian on what agriculture really has to offer.

“I’m really excited to have my own classroom and classes,” said Brockett, “I am enjoying student teaching, and I love the subject because agriculture encompasses so much.”