• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

Scheduling fundamentals

Heather+Johnson+works+in+her+office+on+students%27+schedules.++Each+student+is+brought+in+to+individually+discuss+their+plans++and+create+schedules+which+will+meet+their+goals+after+high+school.+

Scheduling fundamentals

Heather Johnson works in her office on students' schedules.  Each student is brought in to individually discuss their plans  and create schedules which will meet their goals after high school.

Heather Johnson works in her office on students' schedules. Each student is brought in to individually discuss their plans and create schedules which will meet their goals after high school.

Amber Miller

Amber Miller

Amber Miller

Amber Miller, Reporter

Recently, students visited Ms. Heather Johnson’s office, the high school guidance counselor, to form their schedule for the upcoming school year. Mr. Eric Hurelbrink, principal, and Johnson sit down in October to look at a master schedule, which is a schedule of all the teachers and the classes they teach, to determine where to go from there.

Hurelbrink and Johnson look at how many students are coming from eighth to ninth grade to see how many sections of algebra or English classes the school will need to have, along with deciding who needs to take what course.

When students are in the office, Johnson looks at whether the classes they have chosen will affect how many credits they need. “It’s really kind of like a giant puzzle piece,” she said.

Before, Johnson used to meet with students and let them just pick what classes they wanted to take.  Now it’s a long process, looking at kids who take dual credit classes and then figuring out how to set each class hour.

“Ms. Johnson helped guide me in choosing classes for the next year and told me what I could and couldn’t take,” said Sydney Senger, sophomore.

Some students run into problems, for example, every year the history classes are supposed to change, but next year one of them didn’t. “I couldn’t take two history classes which kinda made me mad so I had to pick two extra classes,” said Keagan Kantor, freshman.

This coming school year honors English will be added to the curriculum. “When I heard they were changing the English programs, I knew I wanted to take honors English,” said Senger.

In two weeks, the freshman will take the PSAT 8-9. The school sends an email home to parents informing them of the necessary score needed for placement in honors English.

“I heard it’s a weighted class and I want to be ahead of the game whenever I graduate,” said Kantor.