• Donate to the blood drive on Friday

• Kyler Kantor signs to Illinois College for football

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

WYSE under different leadership, new name, sectionals 2x

The+2019+WYSE+Team+worked+together+to+achieve+their+goal%2C+state.+Sadie+Scott+%28senior%29+said%2C+%E2%80%9CI+like+WYSE+because+it%E2%80%99s+competitive+and+I+make+a+lot+of+friends.%E2%80%9D+Meridian%27s+WYSE+Team+will+attend+Eastern+Illinois+University+to+compete+on+March+7.+

The 2019 WYSE Team worked together to achieve their goal, state. Sadie Scott (senior) said, “I like WYSE because it’s competitive and I make a lot of friends.” Meridian's WYSE Team will attend Eastern Illinois University to compete on March 7.

Jeannine Rude

Jeannine Rude

Jeannine Rude

Shyanne Piatt, Reporter

The Academic Challenge team (formerly WYSE) has advanced to sectionals for the second year in a row.

Students are tested in seven areas: Math, Chemistry, English, Physics, Biology, Engineering Graphics, and Computer Science. Each team member must compete in two areas. Once the tests are scored, the students with the top three scores on each test are awarded individually. The top two scores are able to advance to the next competition. The top two teams are then chosen by how many members have the highest scores. Teams with the highest scores are able to advance to sectionals as a team. Even if the entire team doesn’t advance, individuals can qualify for state.

Last year the Meridian WYSE team competed in sectionals at Eastern Illinois University. That was the first year since 2007 that the entire team qualified for state. Meridian is in a division which includes six schools with enrollment under 300. Eastern sends the top three teams on to the state championship.

Jake Ripple placed in graphics and Kyler Kantor in chemistry in last year’s sectionals.

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, Meridian’s WYSE team attended Richland Community College for this year’s regionals. Only the top two teams advance to sectionals. First place was St. Teresa followed by Meridian, the third was Warrensburg-Latham.

“I am happy that our WHOLE TEAM advanced. We definitely needed the scores of the individual medalists, but having a solid team means that when the other scores were factored in, we ended up qualifying for the sectional contest,” said Mrs. Jeannine Rude, Meridian’s WYSE team coach. “This emphasizes that it truly is a team competition. We could not have advanced without the other team members doing well even though they didn’t place 1st -3rd.”

Sectionals are treated just like regionals in terms of preparation. Sectionals will take place at Eastern on March 7, 2019.

Kaelee Stockton (senior) said, “I am so excited that we were moving on to sectionals! It really makes it feel like all our studying going thru old tests will finally pay off!”

Representing MHS was: Dylan Baker, Brogan Barnes, Hannah Craft, Delaney Brooks, Jesse Damery, Oscar Garcia, Kyler Kantor, Madeline Klinger, Andrew Krows, Sydney Moore, Alexis Rosenberger, Sadie Scott, Kaelee Stockton, and Sam VonBehren.

Sam VonBehren – 1st in English & 3rd in Math
Jesse Damry – 2nd in biology
Andrew Krows – 2nd in Engineering and Graphics & 3rd in Physics
Dylan Baker – 3rd in Engineering and Graphics