• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Bible Literature: What’s really being taught

Emily+Johnson%2C+Lyric+Greenwood+and+Audrey+Wise+from+Meridian+High+School+hold+Bibles+that+they+will+use+in+class.+%22I+want+to+see+what+I+learn+about+the+stories%2C%22+said+Wise.+

Emily Johnson, Lyric Greenwood and Audrey Wise from Meridian High School hold Bibles that they will use in class.

Emily Johnson, Lyric Greenwood and Audrey Wise from Meridian High School hold Bibles that they will use in class. "I want to see what I learn about the stories," said Wise.

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Amber Miller, Reporter

President Donald J. Trump posted the following tweet on January 28, “Numerous states introducing Bible literature classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible. Starting to make a turn back? Great!” Within days the tweet stirred up a debate on whether classes that involve religious titles should be taught in public schools.

The debate continued locally when WAND posed the question to their Facebook friends, “would you support bringing classes involving the Bible into public schools?”

Many people commenting on social media think this is something new being brought to the classrooms even though many schools have taught Literature of the Bible for years. “People don’t understand that we’re studying it as a book, just like you would any other book with characters, plot, setting, and conflict,” said Ms. Sheila Moore, Meridian High School English teacher. Moore teaches an elective course entitled Literature of the Bible.

Some of the concerns are that religious beliefs are being forced on children. “Religious beliefs are not taught, we have a textbook for how to read various portions of the Bible,”  said Moore. Classes that have religious titles in public schools are set as electives so students have the choice on whether to take them or not.

“I didn’t feel like I was being preached at,” said Corryn Brock, who took the course her senior year (class of 2018). “I think the way that Literature of the Bible was taught is a good way to handle the class because we read the Bible as a book rather than a religious text.”

Students at Meridian are already signing up for Literature of the Bible, which will be taught in the fall semester. “I heard the class was coming back, I knew I wanted to take it,” said Audrey Wise, sophomore. “I expect to read things with a different view and learn things I didn’t know before.”