Curriculum changes come to Meridian, fall 2019

Tyler Schilz and guidance counselor Ms. Heather Johnson talk about schedule changes and the new classes coming to Meridian next year.

Korey Damery

Korey Damery

Korey Damery

Korey Damery, Reporter

Meridian High School will experience curriculum changes coming up in the 19-20 school year.

“Every year we are always looking to see what we can do better,” said Meridian High School Principal Eric Hurelbrink.

One of the many changes is the agriculture class. “We are still in the middle of what the class will cover. That will be based on who we hire,” said Hurelbrink. “We are hoping to hire someone in January, then we will sit down with them and see what they are suited to cover.”

“We are going to add an accounting class that will work with our entrepreneurship and our foods three/four classes,” said Hurelbrink. “Basically the students in that class will learn accounting, but they will also handle all of the book work for our entrepreneurship and our foods three/four classes.”

Next year, due to a large enrollment to our band program, they are splitting the class into two different hours. “We are kind of thinking the hours will be split up into a freshman-sophomore class then a junior-senior class,” said Mr.Hicks “There will be a change because the bigger the band, the harder it is for me to reach the students individually and I fear that if it gets too large, I won’t be able to focus on individual learners in the band.”

“There are some significant changes happening in next year’s English program. The freshmen, sophomores, and juniors will split into a regular and honors English,” said Ms. Sheila Moore, English teacher. “The other big change is we are hoping to add a dual credit class with Richland that would be a speech class.”

There are also some new history classes being offered. “They could possibly have me bring back my 20th-century conflicts class again but I’m not for sure on that,” said Mr. Evan Kershner, history teacher.

“We will be adding a new class that will be covering current events in the U.S.,” said McKinney, another history teacher.