• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

Bringing history home

Bringing history home

Home run! Matt Roush (pictured left) and Chris Jones (the photographer) both went to P&V earlier and retrieved this Macon Ironmen baseball picture.

Home run! Matt Roush (pictured left) and Chris Jones (the photographer) both went to P&V earlier and retrieved this Macon Ironmen baseball picture. "Having all of these artifacts back at Meridian High School means a lot to the district and its staff. And I'm grateful for the staff of P&G and their willingness to work with the board," said Chris Jones.

Chris Jones

Chris Jones

Chris Jones

Lydia Wiggins, Editor-in-Chief

All trophies involving the 1971 Macon High School State runner-up baseball and basketball team had been reacquired from the local P&V Quickstop in Macon. All except for one picture that remained high on the wall at the P&V until Matt Roush, school board member, retrieved it from the gas station October 19.

“For me, personally, it is nice to see the history of what makes Meridian where it belongs.  I think it is important for us, as Meridian, to remember the two schools which came together to make the district.  Even though the two schools are gone, it does not mean we should not remember and honor their different accomplishments,” said high school principal, Eric Hurelbrink.

At the time of the consolidation, the idea was to start over new and many of the school’s trophies were left in storage. The owners of the P&V simply asked to display the trophies at the station. Not many others have reached out and claimed to have any of the older school artifacts but the goal is to, “Ultimately, use the case [in the Great Hall of the high school] to display items from all three schools,” said Hurelbrink.

“Having all of these artifacts now back at Meridian High School means a lot to many people within the Meridian District, and the District is grateful to the current ownership & staff of P&V in their willingness to work with Meridian School Board Members Matt Roush and Adam Herbert so that they can be preserved and enjoyed for many years to come,” says Chris Jones (who was part of the retrieval process).

The trophies are now displayed in the Great Hall, bringing old and new together.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Bringing history home”

1. Kole Renfro on December 20th, 2018 1:55 pm

Love that we aren’t trying to totally ditch the past as meridian has before when they put the trophies in storage.

2. Desiray on December 20th, 2018 2:02 pm

Thank you for writing such good articles. IM happy to know that we have so much information about our schools past.

• Bringing history home

“Wheels & Wings”

• News

Lip Smackers

• Bringing history home

Senior night baseball

• Bringing history home

Time to smile into their next chapter

• Bringing history home

Junior class raises money for good cause

• Bringing history home

Feature

Drama no Moore

• Bringing history home

IHSA Journalism Sectionals Champion

• Bringing history home

New law 21

• Feature

Girls soccer; back and better than ever

• Feature

Dedicated to a healthier lifestyle

Bringing history home