• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

How it works? ISBE report card

How it works? ISBE report card

The IBSE report card. The grades from the Illinois State Board of Education and what we [each individual school district] are graded on.

The IBSE report card. The grades from the Illinois State Board of Education and what we [each individual school district] are graded on. "I am proud of the data in our report card," said MHS principal Eric Hurelbrink.

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan, Reporter

The ISBE report card is the grade that a school district gets based on a couple different criteria. For the elementary school, they are graded based on the Park test scores and how well they do. The high school is graded on attendance, sophomore graduation track, graduation rate, and SAT scores on math and science.

Dan Brue the superintendent at  Meridian High School said, “There are 37 schools in Macon County and the elementary school is the only one in Macon County to have an exemplary designation.” This means they were awarded for their commitment to excellence.

The high school is put into what is called the commendable category. This means we have met all the requirements and academic scores for the Illinois State Board of Education. The only thing that was not met by Meridian High School was being in the top ten percent in the state for academic achievement.

Eric Hurelbrink, the principal at Meridian High School, said, “One of my main jobs as principal, however, is to constantly evaluate our current academic programs and look for ways to improve upon these.”

According to the Illinois Report Card website, several groups of students are considered when calculating the grade: major racial and ethnic groups, students that are in special education classes, English language learners, and students of low-income families.