• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Veterans, Meridian salutes You

"It gives us a chance, not only to honor our veterans, but to teach our students what it means to honor veterans," stated Tony Hicks, band director for Meridian.

Claire Palmer

Claire Palmer

Claire Palmer

Brian Reed, Reporter

Meridian schools came together in Meridian’s high-school gymnasium to honor our veterans on November 9. Different age groups joined together to perform and show our respect to the men and women of our military, past, present, and future, who have put their lives on the line for our freedom.

“It helped to remember the people who have sacrificed throughout the years to protect our freedom,” says Thomas Jones, who not only is a veteran himself, but had three brothers in World War II, and a grandpa who fought in the American Civil War.

Jones felt that Meridian did a great job in honoring veterans and thought it was great that even the grade school got involved in making the cards for the veterans. He thought the program gave us a chance to remember that we paid a price for our freedom, and it’s our veterans who are responsible for that.

“My father-in-law was able to attend, he’s an Air Force veteran, and I know that he was really proud of the program and really enjoyed it,” said Tony Hicks, Meridian’s band director. He had been working with both the high-school band and the 7/8 grade band for a couple weeks trying to make sure they played the National Anthem in the same way, so when the bands joined together, it would be strong enough for the veterans.

“We should remember, and maybe we’ve forgotten in our modern age, how the military is responsible for the freedoms we have today,” stated Lorraine Jones, wife of veteran Thomas Jones. She felt that the teachers and staff should be commended for the time and effort they put into the program.

1 Comment

One Response to “Veterans, Meridian salutes You”

1. Austin on December 10th, 2018 2:22 pm

I think the quotes are really good in this article. This article is very well written

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

“Wheels & Wings”

• News

Lip Smackers

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Senior night baseball

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Time to smile into their next chapter

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Junior class raises money for good cause

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Feature

Drama no Moore

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

IHSA Journalism Sectionals Champion

• Veterans, Meridian salutes You

New law 21

• Feature

Girls soccer; back and better than ever

• Feature

Dedicated to a healthier lifestyle

Veterans, Meridian salutes You