District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school

Proud.  Sadie Scott shakes the hand of Richard Hilvety in 2016 during the making of a Veterans Day video produced by the journalism class. The administration played the video in the hallways during the week of Veteran's Day that year.

Proud. Sadie Scott shakes the hand of Richard Hilvety in 2016 during the making of a Veterans Day video produced by the journalism class. The administration played the video in the hallways during the week of Veteran's Day that year. "It was super interesting to hear all the different kinds of stories they all had to share. It was a unique opportunity to get some perspective on something that's so hard to picture," said Scott.

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Abagayle Jones, Reporter

For the first time ever, Meridian High School will have a district-wide Veterans Day event. In previous years this event was held at the elementary school in Blue Mound, but this year it will be held in the high school gymnasium on November 9 at 9 a.m.

This event will bring together all three schools (MES, MMS, and MHS). “The high school was approached by veterans in the community who wanted to see the high school do something as well,” said Mr. Eric Hurelbrink, Meridian High School principal.

During this event, the chorus will sing songs together, fourth-grade students will sing, the band will play, and there will be two essays read from a fifth and eighth-grade student. Also, Case Jaukkuri and Riley Brelsfoard will give a speech on why they decided to join the military and will talk a little about their plans for the future.

“I hope it’ll show the veterans as a school district we do appreciate their service and we do appreciate the things that veterans have done and the freedoms we got because of their service,” said Hurelbrink.

This event will be a thank you to all of the veterans in our community.

“We were wanting to have a program that included everybody,” said Mr. Dan Brue, superintendent of Meridian High School.

This event will replace the previous events held separately at the elementary and high school buildings. 

6 Comments

6 Responses to “District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school”

1. Lydia on October 22nd, 2018 9:43 am

I love that all of the schools will get to come together and enjoy the program!

2. Crystal Sheumaker on October 22nd, 2018 10:46 am

It will be a honor to sing for the veterans attending this event!

3. Breanna Evans on October 22nd, 2018 10:56 am

I think that this is a great idea. I love that we can honor those who are serving and have served for our country. I came from a school that always had an assembly to honor the veterans and I’m glad we are doing it here.

4. Evan Atwater on October 22nd, 2018 11:42 am

I think that it would be really cool to learn about what people do for this country.

5. Lyric Greenwood on October 22nd, 2018 1:11 pm

Thank you for writing an article on this, the choir students appreciate it and I hope other people can read this article to come support the veterans.

6. Case R Jaukkuri on October 22nd, 2018 1:36 pm

I am happy that they are bringing this back serving my country is a great honor and I am happy to speak.

• District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school

Blue Mound center becomes center of attention

Curriculum changes come to Meridian, fall 2019

Take back our Hawk, hawks!

Cadaver autopsy field trip

Thankful, tornado takes house, leaves daughter

Salvation Army Angel Tree program

Journalism: Meridian alums discuss possible improvements for program

Bringing history home

How it works? ISBE report card

FFA on its way