Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

JUUL in school. A confiscated JUUL, easy to mistake for a flash drive, has become an unhealthy national trend with teens. Meridian High School has confiscated multiple JUULs this school year.

JUUL in school. A confiscated JUUL, easy to mistake for a flash drive, has become an unhealthy national trend with teens. Meridian High School has confiscated multiple JUULs this school year. "I think that you could be fooled with what it looks like, it would be very easy to mistake them if you didn't know what they actually look like," said Principal Hurelbrink.

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert, Reporter

There have been at least five students at Meridian High School caught ‘JUULing’ on school property since August 16, 2018. The school has had more issues with ‘JUULing’ in the first four weeks of school than they did in the entire previous year.

“In our handbook it’s listed under the same category as if you were caught using tobacco or smoking on campus. I’ve tried to stay pretty consistent, it’s usually one day out and one day in, or two days out and one day in,” said Principal Hurelbrink. “But we also have a policy in our handbook for the students that do something that would be considered illegal here on campus and so that (JUULing) would fall under that part of the category and that would be a forty-five day suspension from any student activity.”

A JUUL looks like a USB flash drive and is small enough to hide in one hand. It’s pods come in a variety of youth-appealing flavors, for example, mango and crème brûlée. The amount of nicotine in one JUUL pod is almost equal to a pack of cigarettes.

“It is easy to hide from parents, allowing the problem to go unnoticed,” said Savannah Mendenhall, a junior at Meridian High School. “Sometimes relatives and older friends supply the ‘JUULs’ and pods. There should be stricter consequences for the suppliers and minors.”

The American Cancer Society states that some kids become physically dependent on nicotine and that it can harm a young person’s brain development.

“It’s illegal for them to have, it should be just like any other drug or illegal substance in my mind,” said Denna Williams, a teacher at Meridian High School. “First of all, I don’t think people even know what kind of effects it can have on your body long-term. If smoking is bad then this is probably way worse because it is chemicals.”

One of the more serious health concerns from ‘JUULing’ is “wet lung.” According to the American Lung Association, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) or more commonly known as “wet lung” is a rapidly progressive disease, the main complication is that fluid leaks into the lung making it difficult or impossible to breathe.

“It scares me. I hope that they stop, it’s a serious health concern. They may feel invincible at a young age, but you have to use those same lungs or whatever for the rest of their life,” said Williams.

25 Comments

25 Responses to “Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?”

1. Hailey Thompson on October 19th, 2018 10:02 pm

Great journalism skills shown by the journalist. Kudos to Hannah Reichert! Favorite article so far.

2. Madison Bingaman on October 19th, 2018 10:05 pm

Amazing article, can’t wait to see what else Hannah Reichert comes up with in the future!

3. Cheryl Wise on October 20th, 2018 6:51 pm

Very informative & well-written article! I had no idea about this before reading this article!

4. Ron on October 20th, 2018 6:54 pm

This was a very informative article that should be read by all parents and grandparents.

5. Jessica on October 22nd, 2018 8:12 am

Good job Hannah for the good article! Some of us didn’t relizease people were caught. This article is very informative.

6. Abbey on October 22nd, 2018 8:13 am

This article was very well written, and I very much agree with what our teachers are saying about this topic.

7. Brian Reed on October 22nd, 2018 9:43 am

Very informative, had some great sources and very well structured, all in all a great article, keep up the good work Hannah!

8. Korey Damery on October 22nd, 2018 9:50 am

Very great article with great information keep up the good work.

9. Austin on October 22nd, 2018 10:45 am

This is a great article. I strongly believe we should be more strict against this.

10. Toria on October 22nd, 2018 10:56 am

This article was written well and very informative.

11. Trent on October 22nd, 2018 10:59 am

This is a topic I’m glad to see covered, it’s definitely a relevant issue.

12. laif sheumaker on October 22nd, 2018 10:59 am

This is good information to Know, Such smoak, much wow.

13. Katelyn on October 22nd, 2018 11:24 am

This really is a serious health concern for those who have and still are doing this. I’m glad that it is finally coming to light as the serious issue that it is.

14. Hunter on October 22nd, 2018 11:33 am

This was a very informative article that should be read by all students.

15. Austin on October 22nd, 2018 11:34 am

This is a very well written article

16. Bry on October 22nd, 2018 11:38 am

The article was very well written and researched. This was a very interesting topic and kept my attention while I read it.

17. Haley Grimes on October 22nd, 2018 12:48 pm

Great article Han! Really shows the concern our students and faculty show towards their peers.

18. Ellen Jackson on October 22nd, 2018 12:49 pm

It’s good to know that teachers care about us. The article was very informative.

19. Reagan Hunt on October 22nd, 2018 1:06 pm

This article is very well written and has great view points.

20. Amber Miller on October 22nd, 2018 1:35 pm

This was a great way to inform students, great job Hannah!

21. Karrigan True on October 22nd, 2018 1:36 pm

This article is well written and the picture is really cool!

22. Kyle R Famer on October 22nd, 2018 1:38 pm

Great story!!! Very well informed on how dangerous it really is.

23. Mikayla Dahlkamp on October 22nd, 2018 1:41 pm

I like how professional and informal the article is on JUULing and the possible consequences would be if caught.

24. Haley Rudolph on October 22nd, 2018 2:01 pm

Very informative, I’ve heard rumors about this, but didn’t think it was a issue! This article shed some light on it!

25. Emily on October 22nd, 2018 9:15 pm

This was a very well written article!

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

How it works? ISBE report card

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

FFA is on its way

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Students go to Journalism National Convention

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Veterans, Meridian salutes You

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Journalism wraps up ad sales unit

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Does your mother know drama auditions are approaching?

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Editorials

Meridian annual blood drive

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

No good on advertising?

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school

• Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?