Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Hallie+Gates+prepares+for+Journalism++ad+sales+day+by+contacting+local+businesses.+Sheila+Moore+said%2C++%22It%27s+an+opportunity%C2%A0for+me+to+teach+journalism%C2%A0students+how+to+sell+ads+and+conduct+themselves+in+a+business+meeting.%22+
Hallie Gates prepares for Journalism  ad sales day by contacting local businesses. Sheila Moore said,

Hallie Gates prepares for Journalism ad sales day by contacting local businesses. Sheila Moore said, "It's an opportunity for me to teach journalism students how to sell ads and conduct themselves in a business meeting."

Kyle Farmer

Kyle Farmer

Kyle Farmer, Executive Producer

Meridian High School Journalism has started their ad sales unit. They will go out and meet business owners on October 24. The class plans on using the money to pay off the wall above the digital trophy case and continue to provide free live events to our community.

Sheila Moore, journalism teacher, said, “It’s an opportunity for me to teach journalism students how to sell ads and conduct themselves in a business meeting so that people in the community have a chance to see what local businesses support the school.”

Journalism students get a grade on how many ads they sell; they also give an evaluation sheet to the clients they meet with–which the clients fill out and send back to the school. Each group must get in front of six decision makers and present. The students start at eight in the morning, eat lunch at eleven, and have their last meeting at two in the afternoon. Most groups will set up to work through their lunch break, so they will schedule a lunch meeting and meet a client at a restaurant.

Connor Hurelbrink, past journalism student, said, “I know how much ad sales meant for the class, I know that was how we got most of our money to buy new equipment.”

There are groups of three, for the group who sells the most and raises the most money, they get ten percent of the total earnings. Hurelbrink’s team won two years in a row.

Ms. Moore said, “The ad sales unit benefits the school because we then end up doing a public relations project where teams pick something they feel has a negative view in the school and then they do a campaign to try and change that which costs money.”

This year Ms. Moore is sending out seven groups. There are three people in a group, six teams from the journalism class–one from the yearbook club.

Sonja Coon, a local business owner, said, “With being a new company in the area, I wanted to get advertising that would hit a large group of diverse families.”

The Meridian Daily news site is ranked first in the state in Division 1.

Ms.Coon stated, “I also believe it is important to support the local community and school.”

To schedule a presentation with one of our student teams, email Mrs. Moore at [email protected]

Feel free to look at the online news site or watch any of our On Demand shows at www.meridiandaily.net

1 Comment

One Response to “Journalism class starts ad sales unit”

1. Hallie N. Gates on October 22nd, 2018 8:12 am

Great article! Good idea adding in Mrs. Moore’s info for ads.

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

FFA is on its way

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Students go to Journalism National Convention

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Veterans, Meridian salutes You

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Journalism wraps up ad sales unit

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Does your mother know drama auditions are approaching?

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Editorials

Meridian annual blood drive

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

No good on advertising?

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

• Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Hard work and dedication: Entrepreneurship class makes 2,000 shirts in one week

Journalism class starts ad sales unit