Meridian Elementary Walkathon

The Meridian Elementary School students walk in Blue Mound. Meridian seniors joined the elementary walkers. Students were greeted by parents and teachers as they got back to the school building.

Cristian Scott

Cristian Scott

Cristian Scott, Reporter

Meridian Elementary School raises $12,745 at their annual walk-a-thon.

The walk-a-thon has been going on for seven years. Which always starts two weeks before the Meridian Friday Homecoming, and ends that Friday of Homecoming.

The principal of the elementary school, Ms. Guebert said, “It is their only fundraiser each school year. The students, PTO sponsors,  families, and friends of students donate money for good stuff like field trips, assemblies, and supplies for teachers.”

Ms. Johnson the Meridian High School counselor, has two daughters in the elementary school, but one isn’t quite old enough yet to participate. This is her first year donating to the Walkathon.

Johnson said, “It’s a good idea, an easy way to raise money, for the school. It’s a great idea, my children liked the high school students coming over and walking with them.”

The elementary school also had t-shirts for the students to wear. The Meridian High School Entrepreneurship class pressed 542 shirts and raised over $2500. The student in charge of making all shirts was Baylee Coffman. Coffman is a senior in her second year of taking entrepreneurship. The class started just five days before the event and finished the day before the Walkathon.

Coffman said, “I was worried that shirts would not be done on time. The company we got the shirts from messed them up, and we weren’t supposed to press those shirts, but people already started so, they had more shirts left over than needed.”