Insight on 2019-20 Ag program

Insight on 2019-20 Ag program

Eddie Hogan

Eddie Hogan

Eddie Hogan

Mikayla Dahlkamp, Reporter

For the past three years, MHS has been working to add the last piece of curriculum they don’t currently offer.  On September 17, 2018, the school board officially gave their blessing.

“Beginning in the 2019-20′ [school year], we will have an agricultural education program,” said school principal, Mr. Eric Hurelbrink.

Space and the expenses to start a new program are the key reasons Meridian is “the last school in the county to actually add an Ag program,” says Hurelbrink.

A new program like this should peak the interest of a lot of current and upcoming students, however, some will have never had a chance to utilize the opportunity.

“It’s neat that we’re getting this program, just unfortunate that I won’t be here for it,” says senior, Vincent Hogan.

However, MHS has been working with the school board over the last year or so to finalize this new asset.  “Ag programs help to provide useful skills to those who plan to enter the Ag industry as well as provide valuable knowledge to those who may not be planning a future in Ag, but simply want to learn where their food comes from and different sectors in the Ag industry,” said a student from Ag Progress Days at Penn State’s College of Agricultural Sciences via an interview through Messenger.