New faces

Adios! Mrs. Horne is finishing her last year at Meridian High School. She has taught at Macon High School and Meridian High School for a combined 40 years.

Sydney Moore

Sydney Moore

Connor Hurelbrink, Executive Producer

At the end of the school year, Meridian will say goodbye to some familiar faces. With some retiring and others leaving for other opportunities, MHS will see some new faces next year.

Mrs. Horne, Mr. Markus, Coach Holly, and Coach Cloe will not be returning next year. Mrs. Horne has been at Macon High School and Meridian High School for a combined total of 40 years. “I think that any time you have worked anywhere for 40 years, it’s tough to not leave an impact at that place,” said Mr. Hurelbrink.

Students past and present alike are saddened at the retirement of Mrs. Horne. Senior Bailey Felter said, “Mrs. Horne found a way to keep me interested in Spanish, without her, I do not think that I would have stuck with Spanish for four years.”

While it will feel strange not hearing the music coming from Mrs. Horne’s room, the new Spanish teacher, Bess Dotterweich, will hopefully bring new traditions and ideas to Meridian. “Any time you fill a position where somebody has been in that position previously for a long time, you can’t go into it expecting to be that person,” said Hurelbrink.

Another longtime teacher Meridian had to bid farewell to was Mrs. Brown, who left after the first quarter for personal reasons. Mr. Markus then was hired to finish out the year. “Mr. Markus did us a huge favor, it’s never easy when a teacher leaves during the year to begin with, regardless what the position is, however, a math teacher is next to impossible to find during the school year,” said Hurelbrink. A former Meridian student, Cara Gatchel, has been hired to fill the open math position. Hurelbrink said, “we got lucky that when the position opened, she was really looking in earnest. We feel pretty good about her.”

Stepping in at volleyball coach will be Alora Goodey, who just finished her playing career at Millikin University. “She came with really good recommendations from people she’s played for, she’s young and energetic and has a lot of great ideas about what she wants to do with the volleyball program.”

Michael Horan who was the assistant girl’s coach will take over the Girls Basketball Program. Some of the players are hopeful for next season. Junior Emma Jackson said, “I think that he will help us because he will bring new ideas and ways of doing things, also focusing more on shooting, which is what I think we need help with.” Jackson also added that she will miss Coach Cloe because he helped her grow as a player during her sophomore and junior year.

Hopefully, these new faces will be able to connect with the students of Meridian next year.