Meridian Moments adds to the yearbook

Snap! The past week, journalism students have been taking pictures and videos of seniors for the yearbook to fit into this DNA helix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dna+helix&rlz=1CADEAA_enUS758US758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi96tq1v7_aAhVJ4IMKHW8kDp4Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=629&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=m2UGUuEkaX8UbM:

Snap! The past week, journalism students have been taking pictures and videos of seniors for the yearbook to fit into this DNA helix. "Seniors felt awkward about filming the videos because it was something new," said Mrs. Moore, Meridian Moments yearbook sponsor.

Emma Jackson, Reporter

The yearbook is making a big change this year. In the past, on the back end sheet of the yearbook, there has been one large senior photo. This year, the yearbook staff is trying something new.

Meridian’s yearbook publisher is making Augmented Reality available to its customers. Meridian Moments decided to try it out for the first time this year. Each senior signed up for a specific theme or group they wanted to be in, for example: basketball, football, a group of friends, etc. Each group took a picture together and then filmed a goodbye video to the other students. Making the decision back in February, the journalism students just finished taking pictures and filming the videos this past week.

“My yearbook staff is always looking for new ways to be on the cutting edge. We enjoy being different, and this new technology seemed like something fun to try,” says Mrs. Moore, Meridian Moments yearbook sponsor.

You may be wondering how you would be able to see the videos in a yearbook. The staff has come up with a way for you to see. If you are wanting to see the goodbye videos, first you need to download an app. Then, using the app, you hover your camera over the chosen group picture, and it will show the short goodbye video that group filmed. Meridian Moments met this past Saturday to put the whole thing together.

“The most difficult thing is trying to get everything to work the way we want it to work. I’m hoping after we learn how to do them, everything will fall into place,” says Makayla Sims, yearbook editor.

Though it is new for the yearbook staff, the Augmented Reality project is also new for seniors this year. When filming the videos, a lot of them felt awkward and were not sure exactly what to say. Senior, Nate Durbin said, “I did feel awkward at first, but I think the final outcome is going to be really cool.”