• Donate to the blood drive on Friday

• Kyler Kantor signs to Illinois College for football

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Conservation conversation: biology field trip

On April 10, Mr. Cloe's sophomore biology students will experience, first hand, what they have learned throughout the year as well as the jobs within biology. A free field trip to show students the different jobs in the science fields was offered to Meridian's biology class and the school accepted it.

On April 10, Mr. Cloe's sophomore biology students will experience, first hand, what they have learned throughout the year as well as the jobs within biology. A free field trip to show students the different jobs in the science fields was offered to Meridian's biology class and the school accepted it. "I feel excited to see what job opportunities are in the field of biology," said Erica Corzine.

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger, Reporter

Biology sophomore students will take a trip to Willow Branch Conservation Area on April 10. Mr. Cloe, biology teacher, says that since the juniors will be taking the SAT on the same day and won’t be in class, he “wanted to have them [the sophomores] do something.”

The conservation area is located between Moweaqua and Macon. Cloe said the class will leave at 9:45 and get back around noon, meaning the students will only miss third, fourth and part of their fifth hour. Cloe has been teaching at Meridian for three years and this will be the first trip he’s taken with any of his biology classes. The trip is possible because, according to Cloe, the Macon County conservation offered it to the school for free and will provide a free lunch for the class as well.

Cloe said, “It [the field trip] is mainly just talking about jobs in the biological research [field] so anybody that is looking to go in to a science field, it gives them a little head start or kind of options of a potential job.”

The students in Cloe’s classes have many views on the reason for taking this trip. Tyler Schliz, student, thinks the trip is to help give the students a better understanding about biology and to help them become interested in the biology field of work. Other students, such as Erica Corzine and Jesse Damery, think the main reason for going on the trip is to show the students, in real life, what they have been learning all year.

“It will show us how the data we read in our books is collected in real life situations,” said Corzine.

Along with the different reasons for taking the trip, the students look forward to experiencing different aspects of the trip too. Schliz and other students are looking forward to seeing the wilderness and wildlife “if there is any” at the time they are there. Corzine wants to witness the “biologists in action.” According to Cloe, during the trip the students will be shown different wildlife surveys and ways of restoration. “They’ll run through the native plants and some of the restoration efforts of cleaning up pollution.”

“I feel excited to see what job opportunities are in the field of biology,” said Corzine.