• Donate to the blood drive on Friday

• Kyler Kantor signs to Illinois College for football

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

You’re late, you’re out

You’re late, you’re out

Pass! If you're 10 minutes late, you don't play in your game that night.

Pass! If you're 10 minutes late, you don't play in your game that night. "This rule was put in place to keep students from sleeping in and coming in at lunch time," stated Principal Mr. Hurelbrink.

Kyle Farmer

Kyle Farmer

Kyle Farmer

Kyle Farmer, Reporter

In the athletic code, there has been a rule that states if you are more then 10 minutes late to school, you don’t get to play in the sports game that night. This rule is meant to help promote good attendance and is a reminder to the kid who plays a game at eight o’clock the night before that he can’t sleep in and roll into school at lunch to play that night.

Principal Mr. Hurelbrink stated, “Most students know they need to be here on the day of a game. This also helps the kid from sleeping in and coming during the second hour and playing that night.”

Girls’ track coach, Ms.Williams,  added, “The rule also doesn’t go into effect if you have a funeral that morning and come to school in the afternoon.”

Some students don’t know about this rule. Junior Kaitlyn Parker didn’t know the rule. She forgot something at home and had to go back to get it, then showed up 15 minutes late for school.

Parker mentioned, “I got a warning and didn’t get to start in our soccer game that night. This had been a lesson I learned, and before I leave, I will check to make sure I have everything.”

Hurelbrink says, “If they’re in the time frame, I’ll remind them and let them know they were cutting it close.”

Most athletes take it upon themselves to be here for their team. Most student-athletes don’t know of this rule. There are many other rules students don’t know about that are in our student handbook.

Hurelbrink added in, “We are just trying to get students to show up on time and not be late for school.”

For a look at the rules in the handbook. You can find it online at meridanhawks.net under High School. Go to the menu, and for all sports applied rules, go under the Athletic Code.