• Donate to the blood drive on Friday

• Kyler Kantor signs to Illinois College for football

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

WYSE enough for state

WYSE enough for state

State bound! The Meridian WYSE team is going to state for the first time in ten years.

State bound! The Meridian WYSE team is going to state for the first time in ten years. "The last year our entire team qualified was 2007," states Ms. Johnson. They will be competing on April 18 at the University of Illinois.

Ms. Johnson

Ms. Johnson

Ms. Johnson

Austin Mendenhall, Reporter

On March 8, the Meridian WYSE team competed in sectionals at Eastern Illinois University. They had two individuals place, Jake Ripple in graphics and Kyler Kantor in chemistry. However, the whole team got a surprise.

Meridian is in a division with small schools that competed at Eastern. Eastern then, sent the top three teams on to the state championship. “They have so many division three schools that the state wanted Eastern to send the top four teams because of the number of schools competing,” states WYSE coach, Ms. Johnson. “We just made it. We weren’t second or third, but we did it.” Meridian was the fourth team. “I was very shocked, I didn’t know they allowed the fourth place team to advance,” said Ripple.

In addition to that surprise, there is another. Meridian has had students place and go to state before, but the last time the whole team went, was over ten years ago. “The last year our entire team qualified was 2007,” stated Ms. Johnson, “It was really exciting, you would have thought we got first at sectionals that day.”

Ms. Johnson added that there is no single person carrying the team. She says that everyone does their part and contributes to the overall team score.

The team will go to the University of Illinois on April 18 to compete in the state tournament.