Cakes for the Cure

Cakes for the Cure

Sold! Auctioneer Jeff Folks auctions off cakes in the live auction.

Sold! Auctioneer Jeff Folks auctions off cakes in the live auction. "These cakes must be made of gold" stated Hunter Chumbley as cakes sold for hundreds at a time.

Drew Snow

Drew Snow

Drew Snow

Drew Snow, Reporter

On February 6, the Meridian Hawks hosted an event in their gymnasium, in conjunction with Central A&M. Cakes for the Cure, is an opportunity for our community to raise money for local cancer research. The total for the evening rang in at $6,515.

The event took place during a Meridian boys basketball game versus the A&M Raiders. A lot of work and planning went into the night. Customized shirts were worn by numerous students, players, fans, and community members.

Teacher Ms. Mullaney stated, “It was to raise money to support local cancer research or cancer causes, whether it be through relay for life or for a family in one of our communities that is directly affected currently by it,” while going through stacks of money donated during the game.

The game had no set admission fee, however, a donation box was set in a place where attendees could donate to get into the game. To start the game off there was a live auction, where the audience could bid as high as they wanted for the  homemade cakes by players and cheerleaders.

Senior Kaiden Damery was one of the students who participated in the chanting and school spirit at the game in the student section. Damery mentioned,  “I was super impressed by the amount of student support, there is usually not that much but today it was just amazing.”

This single event was able to raise thousands of dollars to be put towards fighting cancer. Physical Education and head football coach Mr Sheppard said, “It is a great cause, you know I can’t believe the good support from the crowd we had, I can’t believe we raised that much money.”

The two school communities came together to fight one cause, cancer. Also, to come and enjoy the thrilling entertainment of a high school game. In the end, the Raiders defeated the Hawks by eight points with a final score of 69 to 77 even though the Hawks had led a vast majority of the game.