“Due” for change

“Due” for change

Git 'er done. Mr. Stielow changes his assignment policy for the beginning of second semester. Stielow felt it was time for a change as many students were waiting until the end of the semester, then didn't have time to get their work done.

Git 'er done. Mr. Stielow changes his assignment policy for the beginning of second semester. Stielow felt it was time for a change as many students were waiting until the end of the semester, then didn't have time to get their work done. "Way too many students were waiting until the last minute," said Stielow, "and with business econ being mandatory, it was necessary to make things due sooner."

Dylan Reed

Dylan Reed

Dylan Reed

Dylan Reed, Reporter

Now that it’s 2018, Mr. Stielow decided it was time for a huge change. In the past, he would allow for assignments to be turned in anytime during a quarter, allowing students the ability to blow off assignments until the end.

Now, with the start of the second semester, he decided to set due dates before every test, instead of at the end of the quarter. This is a change for students, making them have to stay on top of their work.

Yet, many students seem to not have the expected feelings about the change. “It doesn’t really bother me,” stated senior Gage Hollgarth. “Feels like I’ll actually get my work done on time, and not have to rush in the end.”

Michael Riley, also a senior, claims that he probably wouldn’t get his work done otherwise. “[This will help] so I don’t procrastinate until the end.” Riley believes his grades will greatly improve with his assignments being turned in on time.

Mr. Stielow says he didn’t come up with the change all on his own though. He stated he had influences from the guidance office and Mr. Hurelbrink. “Way too many students were waiting until the last minute,” said Stielow, “and with business econ being mandatory, it was necessary to make things due sooner.”

Mr. Stielow said that he believed the change will be a lot easier on him for grading and should hopefully help students improve their grades.