Big moment for Meridian Moments

Meridian Moments accepts their second place award from Inter-state Studios. The yearbook staff competed against thousands of high schools nationwide. Marissa Oliver said,

Meridian Moments accepts their second place award from Inter-state Studios. The yearbook staff competed against thousands of high schools nationwide. Marissa Oliver said, "I am so happy that Press Pause is receiving so much recognition, and I’m super proud of the 2016-2017 staff for putting in so much hard work and creating an awesome product."

Tony Capps

Tony Capps

Alexis Rosenberger, Reporter

On Monday, January 29, Inter-state studio presented a second place national award to Meridian Moments‘ 2016-2017 Press Pause yearbook.

I am so happy that Press Pause is receiving so much recognition, and I’m super proud of the 2016-2017 staff for putting in so much hard work and creating an awesome product,” said previous 2016-2017 editor-in-chief, Marissa Oliver.

Meridian Moments competed in Inter-state studio’s Legacy yearbook contest against thousands of other high schools across the nation. There could only be three winners out of two divisions, high school and elementary. According to the territory manager and award presenter, Brandon Pinkston, winning second place out of thousands of entries is “pretty fantastic.” A committee votes on the entries to declare the winners based on “multiple areas of criteria, such as how well the theme is, and how well the group and candid pages are put together with texts and bleeds,” Pinkston said.

“The significance [of winning] is certainly a reflection of the hard work that the team or the committees put together in the yearbook,” said Pinkston.

National winning yearbooks don’t just create themselves; there is a long process that takes place in which yearbooks are created. According to Oliver, first, the yearbook staff goes to a yearbook camp over the summer in order to decide on a theme and cover. Once school starts, meetings are scheduled weekly and, sometimes, even on the weekends. “Crunch time” happens at the end of the school year. For this particular book, Press Pause, Oliver said the staff even worked “a few weeks into the summer in order to get everything done.”

“It [winning the award] makes me feel really proud of everyone because we worked really hard to get this book done,” said current 2017-2018 editor-in-chief, Makayla Sims.

The goal for the 2017-2018 yearbook is, according to Sims, to try and win as many awards as possible. Being that this year is anatomy-themed, it might “just be kind of hard,” says Sims. However, despite the difficulties, she believes if “everyone stays on task and tries hard enough,” they will have a chance of winning a national award for this year’s book as well.