Students say goodbye to beloved teacher, Ms. Brown

On Ms. Brown's last day, her first hour trigonometry class presented her with a poster and took a class photo. Even though Ms. Brown is no longer teaching them, many will remember the memories they had with her.

Claire Palmer

Claire Palmer

Sydney Moore, Reporter

Ms. Brown, a Blue Mound/Meridian teacher for 29 years, taught her final class on November 17. In the morning, she was greeted by presents and a poster signed by some of her students.

“When I saw Mrs. Brown for the last time as a teacher at Meridian I felt as though my whole life was falling apart, my favorite teacher was leaving me. Sydney [Moore] and I decided to make a poster for Mrs. Brown. Yes, Sydney did most of the work but I found the quote, says Camille Gaither, Meridian senior and part of Ms. Brown’s Trigonomotry class. “When we came into class that day, we would not allow her to come into the room for fear that she might see the poster, not all signed by our classmates. When Mrs. Brown came into the classroom and Sydney gave her the poster she immediately started crying.”

Ms. Brown and Ms. Johnson have taught together for 30 years and have spent many of those years as classroom neighbors.

“She is a great friend of mine outside of school as well as here at school. We’ll still see each other occasionally, but I will really miss the day-to-day conversations and math talk,” tells Ms. Johnson.

The main thing Ms. Brown wants her students to know is that she did not leave because she was dissatisfied here, but because of circumstances out of her control.

“My last day was bittersweet.  I got lots of hugs, too much chocolate — that I quickly consumed, cards, cookies, and an excellent piece of pizza from the foods class — plus that wonderful sign that you and your fellow classmates gave me,” shares Ms. Brown.