MHS blood drive

Hunter Chumbley, Reporter

Friday, November 3, 2017, Meridian High School hosted one of its many blood drives for the American Red Cross in the upstairs balcony of the gym. Helping lead this drive is Mrs. Rappé. Rappé is the NHS (National Honor Society) sponsor.

This will be Rappé’s seventh blood drive in three years. She says,”We usually have a very good turn out every year from students and community members.”

Each year, Meridian holds three annual blood drives; one in August during school registration, and two others in November and March. “Every blood drive for us is in the high school gym, and anyone over 17 can give blood, and anyone 16 or older with a parent’s signed consent. Having the blood drive here we try to create lifelong blood donors,” says Rappé.

The American Red Cross volunteers come from Bloomington each year and run blood banks for North Central Illinois to collect blood for hospitals.

Each student is given the choice of giving a whole blood donation or a double-red donation. To qualify for the double-red donation, the American Red Cross requires your iron levels to be 13.5 or higher.

Rappé notes, “Giving blood is so important because artificial blood has not yet been made yet, so it’s very important that we have plenty of blood donors since blood is very valuable.”

For those students and community members who wonder when the blood drives will take place, Mrs. Rappé says, “I usually send an e-mail six weeks in advance to students and previous donors, so always check your e-mail. For the community, I put posters up in the library, bank, and Facebook.”

The blood drive had a total of 84 people enter and 76 units were collected. The next blood drive will be March 2, 2018.

To contact Mrs. Rappé with questions regarding blood drives, email her at [email protected]