Meridian girls accepted into Youth Leadership Institute

Hannah Craft, Sydney Moore, and Sadie Scott were accepted into the Youth Leadership Institute. The program is conducted by Richland Community College and Millkin University, the girls will receive three Richland credits.

Hannah Craft, Sydney Moore, and Sadie Scott were accepted into the Youth Leadership Institute. The program is conducted by Richland Community College and Millkin University, the girls will receive three Richland credits. "Since this was my first year coordinating YLI, it was exciting to see the progression of students “getting it”. Their writing continually improved and we could see a significant growth of critical thinking and how the topics being discussed would be applied to what the students do…and also give them the tangible skills and tools that they can carry with them once they leave high school," shares Alex Berry.

Youth Leadership Institute

Youth Leadership Institute

Sydney Moore, Reporter

During the 2017-2018 school year, three students from Meridian will participate in the Youth Leadership Institute. The class is affiliated with Richland Community College and Millikin University and is offered to juniors. The program has been offered for over 20 years, nine schools and home-schooled students participate.

“The program was started to build the connection for high school juniors to prepare them for constructive leadership, community involvement, and responsible participation in the future of the Decatur area. When the program was overhauled this past year, more of an emphasis was put on actual leadership development—covering different aspects/theories of leadership and how students can apply those aspects/theories in their daily lives,” shares Alex Berry, Youth Leadership Institute coordinator.

The three students that are participating include Hannah Craft, Sydney Moore, and Sadie Scott.

“Mrs. Johnson and I look for students who are excelling in the classroom and, with this, students who we feel are academically responsible enough to miss one day of school each month and still be okay.  We also look for students who we feel are leaders in the classroom and in the building, itself.  In essence, we want to hone in on the leadership skills we see and help those students to better themselves.  By doing this, it will, in turn, help to better MHS,” comments Mr. Hurelbrink, Meridian High School’s principal.

The class is held at various locations throughout the year where the students are taught different aspects of leadership. Some of these locations include the Good Samaritan Inn, the Decatur Police Department, and the African-American Cultural & Genealogical Society Museum. They also complete essays and a final exam.

“The program is designed to help these students understand what leadership is and, at the same time, help them to see different aspects of what it means to be a leader.  Along the way, students are introduced to various topics such as the concepts of being a leader, developing a leadership plan, executing that plan, and conflict resolution just to name a few. Each month, students have homework to complete and a presentation piece at the end of the year,” shares Mr. Hurelbrink.

Though the program will take work, it will benefit them in the long-run. “First of all, it not only gives us college experience preparing us juniors for the road ahead, but it also looks great on applications and resumes,” tells Hannah Craft, sophomore.