Meridian lands journalism success at sectionals

State bound! Journalism students and yearbook staff members smile as they wait for the award ceremony. This was the second year Meridian publications competed in sectionals.

State bound! Journalism students and yearbook staff members smile as they wait for the award ceremony. This was the second year Meridian publications competed in sectionals. "I was really nervous this year because I felt like I had to live up to last year and go to state again. But I guess I didn't have a reason to worry," says senior Andrea Ricker.

Sheila Moore

Sheila Moore

Kendra Merris, Reporter

Meridian’s District 15 News and Meridian Moments Yearbook went to Illinois State University this past Saturday, April 22 for journalism sectionals.

Eleven journalists from the school went to compete in different areas of journalism and yearbook. Students competed in categories such as news writing, photo storytelling, sports writing, infographic design, and more. This is the second year students have competed and this year had more success than last.

Journalism teacher and yearbook adviser Ms. Moore stated, “I am encouraged that we did better than last year. Last year was the first time we competed and so seeing that we had done better this year than last year just tells me that we are on the right track to continuing to build our program. We had one qualify for state last year and we had two this year. We only had like three or four people who placed at sectionals last year and we had ten place somewhere this year.”

Meridian journalism and yearbook students have been preparing all year for this in class or during yearbook meetings. Everything they needed to do well in the competition Moore had given to them in the lessons she taught during class.

“Mrs. Moore helped me prepare for it a lot, she gave me all of the material from last year like my news writing stuff. I kind of just went through my writing for sectionals and state last year, and I just highlighted and rewrote a lot of stuff and wrote what I could do better. Mrs. Moore helped a lot she gave me a style book to help make sure I did everything journalistically correct,” said senior, Andrea Ricker. 

Ricker competed in news writing and feature writing. Although she didn’t place in feature writing, Ricker got first place in news writing, taking her to state once again.

“I did not think I was going to be going to state this year. I thought I did really bad, I was one of the last people to finish my story. They had to tell me to finish the sentence that I was on then I had to leave. I was super stressed out and when they were announcing the names and I didn’t get third, which is what I got last year, I thought there was no way I was going to state this year, then they called me for first place. I am glad I am not the only one this year, I have Corryn Brock who placed in third for photojournalism.” said Ricker. 

Corryn Brock, junior, used three pictures to tell a story about something happening on campus at that time. Brock took pictures of a protest happening at her site and also had to write a brief summary of what was happening but that didn’t get judged.

“I really love taking pictures and Travis Robinson took it away from me last year and competed in it. Kendra Merris gave it back to me like a sweet angel so I almost killed Travis but Kendra came through for me,” said Brock.

The future is bright for Meridian’s journalism. Ricker and Brock will go to state Friday, April 28 at Eastern Illinois University.

“People should sign up for journalism if they haven’t done so already because that’s where it’s at,” claims Moore.