The four year track and field athletes

Brock Snarski, Wade Collier, and Ryan Ricker show how the last three years of track have really brought them together.

Brandon Fornwalt

Meridian has a good history when it comes to track with the help of the three seniors, Brock Snarski, Ryan Ricker and Wade Collier. The 4 by 800 meter team has been to state every year that these seniors have been in high school. All three of these seniors have made it to the state championship at least once in their high school track career and they all run the 4 by 800 meters which has seemed to be the most successful event the last three years. These three seniors are getting excited about their last year of track, but hope it does not go by too fast.

The first senior, Brock Snarski, came off an unbelievable middle school track career that included four state championships in both the 800m run and 1600m run his seventh and eighth grade years. High school track has been a little tougher for Snarski though.

After taking fifth place in the 4 by 800m run his freshman year, it has gone downhill since then. Snarski suffered an injury and got overheated his sophomore and junior track seasons and was unable to run in the state championship. But he has big goals for his senior year wanting to accomplish first place in the 800m run and make it to the state championship as a team.

When asked about how he feels participating in his last high school sport, Snarski replied with, “I am happy because I am moving on to bigger and better things.”

The next senior is Ryan Ricker. Ricker made it to state his junior year and placed fourth in the 400m run at the areas best meet at Millikin University. He is hoping to make it to state both individually and as a team. He has made many friends over his three years of track and will miss everybody he has made friends with when his senior year is up.

“It is depressing because my high school athletic career will be over,” Ricker says when asked how he feels about participating in his last high school sport.

The last senior is Wade Collier. Collier was also on the fifth place 4 by 800m team his freshman year. He loves the overall competition in track and is a true competitor. Like Snarski, he has big goals for his senior year of track. Collier wants to compete as a team in the big track meets and also he wants to leave a legacy behind by setting records. He is excited for his senior year but will miss all his friends and miss competing.

When asked about his feeling towards participating in his last high school sport, Collier said, “It is a bittersweet feeling because my high school career will be over.”

All three of these athletes will do whatever it takes to go out with a bang. Although none of these athletes are planning on running track in college, track made them learn what teamwork is really about which will help them move on to bigger and better things.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “The four year track and field athletes”

1. Hailee Ray on March 24th, 2014 9:10 am

Awesome quotes from all 3 athletes.

[Reply]

2. Joshua Whitaker on March 25th, 2014 8:51 am

They had amazing quotes and this article is written great. They are great athletes and they are determined for their senior year. This photo is great of all three of them.

[Reply]

3. Terry on March 25th, 2014 8:56 am

You got really good quote work and did not stack the quotes

[Reply]

4. Darren Davis on March 27th, 2014 9:16 am

This article shows how hard they work because they went to state all four years of their track seasons, i like this article because it shows how you have to work hard for something good in return.

[Reply]

5. Kayla Mathias on April 1st, 2014 9:45 am

As long as I’ve known these 3, they’ve always been athletic! Good quote work too!

[Reply]

6. Braydon Barnes on April 2nd, 2014 9:02 am

The picture is a little blurry. I would advise re-sizing it better to fit. or taking a picture of them in their track uniform not just “street clothes.”

[Reply]

7. Carly Goodman on April 8th, 2014 9:18 am

I feel like you did a great job on capturing their passion. The quotes were fab.

[Reply]

8. Clint Gorden on May 9th, 2014 9:24 am

It’s a shame some of them didn’t stick out the rest of the season

[Reply]

• The four year track and field athletes

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Reaching new heights

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Senior sendoff

Featured Sports Story Carousel

One K Kircher

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Expected repeat

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

After seven years, it all comes to an end

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Recap of Meridian Hawks basketball season

Featured Sports Story Carousel

2014 GEICO Bassmaster Classic

Featured Sports Story Carousel

What does it take to be a Meridian cheerleader?

The four year track and field athletes