“My Touch is Lethal.” Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shyanne Hagler, Staff Reporter

“My Touch is Lethal.” Shatter Me  by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me is a young adult dystopia thriller written by Tahereh Mafi that was published on November 15, 2011. The book is told by Juliette, a 17-year-old girl with a lethal touch.

‘“Your parents hate you and it’s so hard but you have to wear gloves for the rest of your life because you kill people when you touch them. Who gives a crap?” He’s breathing hard enough for me to hear him.’ This was said by Kenji Kishimoto, a humorous character of this story. Who also said, “I’d appreciate if you’d grow the heck up and stop walking around like the world crapped on your only roll of toilet paper.”  Trying to get Juliette, the main character, to stop feeling self-pity. Just because her touch kills people and she has no parents, or a life for that matter.

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. She doesn’t know why she has a fatal touch. Nobody does. She accepts her fate because she does not want to hurt anyone else, like she hurt that little kid. “I killed him. I killed him.killed him.” Juliette said in the book, frightened of herself.  Nothing in their world is normal anymore, there are no more birds, the clouds are different colors, there are diseases, and food is hard to find. Nobody cares that she’s rotting in the cell. That is what everyone wants. The people certainly don’t care for her, but it seems the Reestablishment is. They know of her touch, they know how dangerous she really is, and they want her. She is exactly what they need right now. Soon Juliette gets a cellmate- his name is Adam Kent.  He looks familiar to her. She remembers him from her childhood life, when she was outside the cell.

“Kissing when you are fleeing for your lives?? I’m sure this is not the correct way of things, right? And yet it occurs in way too many young adult books. I’m like: “run, run, run!” but the characters are too busy swapping saliva. I must be old-fashioned in my thinking that staying alive is kinda important, Emily May says about the love affair Juliette and Adam have. Aaron Warner is the governor of the Reestablishment and sends for Juliette. And Adam is the soldier for sector 45 to come get her.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It may seem a little brutal at first with her in the asylum, but this book had me flipping the pages quite fast. I got it done in one night and returned it the next day! I recommend it! Tahereh Mafi has worked hard with this book saying, “My only real inspiration for this book is an interest in human nature and our ability to overcome great obstacles.” Although this book has many thrills and excitement, there have been some bad points to it, some people don’t see any excitement.

“The author’s apparent addiction to the strike through tool seriously distracted from a novel I could have probably found a way to like a bit more,” Says  Christie on a review about the book on Amazon. Saying she didn’t like the strike through the words. When others thought it made it more interesting.

“I don’t think the effect works or is done particularly well,” Kat Kennedy said in her own opinion.

“When I was reading this book, I did not want to know anything about there being a silly real world on the other side of my window. I wanted to get as deep into this dreary, atmospheric place as I could. I wanted it to be real,” quotes Lauren DeStefano, obviously quite pleased with this book.

Lauren says this hoping it’ll get others to pick it up and attempt at this read worthy book! And in the end Tahereh Mafi says, “If you read the book and find yourself drawn to the villain, don’t worry. I won’t think you’re crazy.”

1 Comment

One Response to ““My Touch is Lethal.” Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi”

1. TillieAnn Boliard on February 26th, 2015 3:55 pm

Great book and great article. This series by Mafi had me begging for more and drew me into the story more and more with each word. I loved that while scrolling through the Meridian Daily I was able to see this review of an amazing book.

[Reply]

• “My Touch is Lethal.” Shatter Me  by Tahereh Mafi

Arts & Entertainment

If you come with me, you’ll float too

Movies

Does Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 “Rocket” over 1?

Arts & Entertainment

The revival: Clash Royale

Restaurants

Pie’s the Limit measures up

Arts

Heathers: The Musical welcomes you to their candy store

Arts & Entertainment

Alumni help out Meridian Drama

Arts & Entertainment

The show must go on

Arts & Entertainment

The not so Great Gatsby

Arts

Competitive arts

Arts & Entertainment

For Honor, best game?