Trouble with the teacher

Valerie Cook

Karrigan True, Reporter

Dear True, I need the truth…

“I’m really not good at a certain class and my teacher won’t help me much. She always rushes through the lessons and even if I go down in study hall I feel like I get no help. What do I do?”

Sincerely,

A Struggling Student

————————————————————————————————————————-

Dear struggling student, here is the truth…

Sometimes teachers think the entire class understands a lesson when in reality, they don’t. It can be frustrating when it feels like the teacher doesn’t listen. It is especially difficult when it’s in a class that isn’t your best one.

Throughout high school and even middle school, I have had several teachers like this. In my opinion, the best thing to do is just be honest with the teacher. Explain to them you don’t quite understand the lessons and it may take extra help before or after school. However, maybe you have tried this.

If so, maybe ask a different teacher for help. For example, if you need help in science with equations and problem solving, your math teacher may be able to help. It may even be possible to ask a teacher from the previous year. I have had to do this several times and they typically understand.

If you have a friend, who is good at the specific subject, ask them! Don’t feel embarrassed about needing help. Most of the time, there will be students who understand the lesson more than others. Since they know what they’re doing, they could probably explain it.

If no one is able to help, go talk to Ms. Johnson, the guidance counselor, and let her know what you are struggling with. She can provide you with a tutor, who is strong in that subject and will meet with you during study hall. It’s part of her job to make sure you do well. So don’t be afraid to ask!

Thanks for writing!

-Karrigan True