Trouble with Tide pods

Tasting+Toxins%3F+There%27s+yet+another+new+trend+of+ingesting+dangerous+things.+Many+parents+have+been+extremely+worried+and+confused+as+to+why+so+many+people+are+being+hospitalized+because+of+the+Tide+pod+challenge.+
Tasting Toxins? There's yet another new trend of ingesting dangerous things. Many parents have been extremely worried and confused as to why so many people are being hospitalized because of the Tide pod challenge.

Sadie Scott

Sadie Scott

Sadie Scott, Editor-in-Chief

“Dear Sadie,

Why are adults so worried about kids eating Tide pods, but they weren’t worried about kids choking on cinnamon?”

-Anonymous

Though I thought the answer was obvious: Tide pods literally state their toxicity, while we eat cinnamon all the time, I do think that there may be a couple reasons there’s a lack of concern.

For those who don’t know or don’t remember the so-called “cinnamon challenge,” it was an online craze in the late 2000’s until a peak end around 2012. The objective was to swallow a spoonful of plain cinnamon, without drinking anything, while being filmed. People would then upload the videos to Youtube, and that was it.

However, these Tide pod challenges are being blasted on social media outlets all over, not just Youtube. Besides Youtube, other outlets weren’t as popular, or possibly even established, when the cinnamon challenge was in its prime. Social media has become so much more popular over the past few years, meaning it’s much easier to get 15 minutes of fame for doing very little.

The easy attention gained and fast response rate may contribute to why so many more kids are participating, leading to more parents being concerned. Nowadays, it’s easier than ever to get validation from hundreds of people across the map, and for doing nothing but eating something you shouldn’t.

I think another reason there wasn’t a huge call to arms about the cinnamon challenge was because cinnamon never really posed a threat. Throughout the mania of that challenge, regardless of the pain, irritation, and the threat of a choking hazard, it only claimed one life. This was very tragic, but the trend really met an abrupt stop after that. However, people die from ingesting detergent on a yearly basis.

I’m sure there are a lot of contributing factors, but who can say why kids willingly eat Tide pods anyway? And who’s to say there won’t be another challenge in a few years, with a different thing kids will eat that they shouldn’t? Ridiculous crazes will come and go, just like the concern when it dies down.

Thanks for writing!

-Sadie Scott