Behind the scenes drama

Boyd Mathias, Staff Reporter

Every big group activity has its ups and downs. The Meridian Drama Club faced quite the challenge as the play approached. Mrs. Moore had several people approach her to tell her that they were quitting the play with less than a month left (or a week…or 3.5 hours). She was quite livid at certain points, but she was proud of the people who stuck with it. As a play member, I was also frustrated with the people who just walked away from their commitment. Moore even approached certain play members and asked them to do multiple roles. I was one person she approached- allowing me to get more time on stage.

On top of having to deal with finding the replacements for the people who quit, she also had to deal with teaching the kids who had not been able to make a lot of the practices. Senior drama member Dalton Collins, who played a major role, was one of those drama members who was busy with other activities. His thoughts about being behind were, “I felt like I was a little behind, but I was excited to learn this part because I really wanted to be in the play.” As for myself I was also getting behind on the practices, but several times Dalton and I practiced outside of play practice to get this down pat.

As a cast member, I got to hear a lot of the gossip first hand. “Why aren’t they here? What do they have that’s more important? Why did they even decide to do this in the first place?” A great way to avoid the gossip is to just hold true to your commitments. The Drama Club was able to overcome the setbacks and perform one of the harder musicals out there with little to no problems.