Korean Veterans: America’s finest

America's finest. These three veterans came to present to the juniors. This was a part of Mr. Kershner's history class.

Austin Durbin

America's finest. These three veterans came to present to the juniors. This was a part of Mr. Kershner's history class. "The men that visited gave up a part of their life for their country. Many did not return. I certainly feel that Gene Howell, William Hanes, and David L. Mayberry go to schools to make sure that these men are remembered. They contributed to shaping the world we live in today. They deserve to be remembered and respected for it," mentions Kershner.

Austin, Reporter

On Friday, April 7, Mr. Kershner’s history classes watched a presentation by Korean War veterans who shared their experience through the war.

No matter what your idea of a veteran is, these heroes should be honored with the greatest respect possible. Not every American has the honor to meet these brave men and women. However, Meridian juniors got the chance to meet three Korean veterans. Mr. Kershner, a teacher at Meridian, has brought Korean veterans to talk to his juniors for the past two years.

The Korean War Veterans of Decatur asked to come to the school. I feel that their experience is worth sharing with a younger generation. I really enjoy when they visit. I learn something new each time they visit,” says Kershner. 

Dave Mayberry was enlisted in the United States Army during the Korean War. He enlisted in 1948, served in Korea from 1950-51, and returned to Korea after an injury in 1953. Mayberry was a rifleman and served his country to make his family proud.

“I enlisted in the Army, because of my family. I can say that is a family tradition to serve in the military,” says Mayberry.

Junior Brock Durbin states, “I really liked seeing these veterans. These men were treated with so much disrespect after returning home, but I think they should be remembered as heroes. I am honored to have met these brave men.”

No matter what your views of war are, you should remember these veterans as heroes. They risked so much just for you to enjoy life freely. So if you see a veteran, no matter what war they served in, thank them. If it wasn’t for them, you would not have the freedom you have today.