So…are we getting senior quotes?

Press pause. The theme for the 2016-17 yearbook is about pausing and reflectng on the year. This book will also feature the senior quotes that the yearbook staff fought for.

Walsworth Publishing

Press pause. The theme for the 2016-17 yearbook is about pausing and reflectng on the year. This book will also feature the senior quotes that the yearbook staff fought for. "I'm so glad we got senior quotes. I was really scared that we wouldn't be able to have them," says senior Andrea Ricker.

Hannah Morrow, Reporter

Senior quotes are a tradition Meridian has had since yearbook started. However, due to trouble with quotes in the past, the tradition almost ended.

When yearbook adviser Ms. Moore started doing yearbooks at Meridian, there were many items in the senior section. Some schools have gotten rid of certain senior section items due to lawsuits. Meridian Moments has already removed senior wills and remember whens, but they didn’t want to take away senior quotes and superlatives.

“I am trying to draw a hard line in the sand for senior quotes and superlatives because I feel like those are two things that students really look forward to. I want to make sure that they are able to have them if they want them.” Moore added, “I had my moments of doubt when I had students continue to give a hard time with the quotes but overall, I think the senior class really followed instructions and did exactly what I hoped for.”

Moore feels the fight for senior quotes was worth it. “I am really impressed with the senior quotes that they used. Setting the rules made everything a little bit more prestigious. People picked things that were heartwarming or motivational instead of trying to joke about it. I think it ended up being a stronger senior section because of the changes.”

Yearbook editor-in-chief Marissa Oliver says, “I think a lot of kids would be disappointed if we didn’t have senior quotes with the pictures so the fight to save them was worth it.” Some students complained about the rules, especially that you couldn’t quote other students, but in the end, everyone turned in an appropriate quote. In order to get senior quotes, Oliver and fellow yearbook staff member Andrea Ricker had to come up with a list of rules with Moore to send to Principal Mr. Hurelbrink. Once the list was approved, groups of seniors would go to Moore’s room during study hall, then email their quote to Moore and their parents for approval.

“Senior quotes are a cool thing and I’m glad that we have them. It’s a cool way for students to show individuality.  The fight to keep senior quotes was definitely worth it,” says Ricker, “It’s just a tradition that everyone looks forward to at every school and it’s just a part of the Meridian yearbook.”