Elite athletes compete at the Macon County Meet

Ready? Set. Go! Nate Durbin takes off from the starting line in the 800. He ended up winning this event. Durbin stated,

Ready? Set. Go! Nate Durbin takes off from the starting line in the 800. He ended up winning this event. Durbin stated, "This was perfect because it was the Macon county championships and we hosted it so I couldn't ask for much more. I did pretty good, I got first in the 800 and second in my two relays, I wasn't sure how it was going to go because I wasn't ranked first in the 800, but I pulled it out at the end."

Christine Heath-Fasick

Christine Heath-Fasick

Justin Hendrian, Reporter

On April 25, Meridian hosted the Macon County Meet, and a total of 16 teams were present.

High jumper Cameron Getz is currently tied for first in the state with a jump 6’8”. He started doing track his sophomore year of high school, and his main goal for this season is to place in the top five for the state. If you spectate him, you are able to tell how passionate he is about high jump.

Student worker, Nathan Berger, made the comment, “People are always putting in their maximum effort, like Cameron. If he doesn’t get what he wants to get on the high jump, you can always tell he’s mad.”

Last year, Meridian graduate Noah Adams, won state for high jump. He set the expectations high for Cameron Getz and Connor Hurelbrink. So far they are both exceeding expectations.

High jumper Connor Hurelbrink stated, “It’s great competing in big meets like these because it pushes me to do the best I can. I also got third in high jump, and that’s what I expected. I was ranked third to begin with, so it was a good meet for me.”

Meridian track athletes appear to look for ways to become better in their events. Whether it be re-learning the correct form, doing extra runs, or working on their own, fans can see how committed they are.

Discus thrower Mackenzie Kallenbach said, “It is stressful and exciting at the same time to compete in big meets like this. I got 10th, and I expected to not do very good, I have been working on a new technique for only a week now, basically re-learning how to throw the discus.”

Students from Meridian are willing to help out during the home track meets because they have fun talking to people from different schools, and also see them run.

Berger commented, “It’s really fun to see all the people compete because you can get to see the best in the county run against each other to see who is the fastest, and to see everybody go crazy for them.”

Next time Meridian hosts a home meet, make it a point to come out and cheer on your Hawks.