Senior sendoff

Seniors Joe Ford and Layne Kircher along with their families are honored before the game. This was both Kircher and Ford's last regular season home game.

Seniors Joe Ford and Layne Kircher along with their families are honored before the game. This was both Kircher and Ford's last regular season home game. "I was pretty excited, but sad that it was one of my last games," said Ford.

Janet Hurelbrink

Janet Hurelbrink

Connor Hurelbrink, Reporter

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017, Meridian High School hosted its winter sports senior night.

The Meridian High School Boys Basketball team hosted Edinburg High School on February 14.  The two seniors, Joe Ford and Layne Kircher, were honored with their senior night. Both Kircher and Ford have played high school basketball for Meridian for four years. “Senior Night was pretty exciting, but it was sad because it was one of my last games,” said Ford.

Meridian jumped out to an early 42-7 lead after one quarter of play. Meridian continued to put up points and Edinburg was offering little resistance. At halftime, Meridian lead Edinburg 63-23. “I thought we played a really good first half, but in the second half, we kinda let them score a little bit. Overall, we had four or five guys in double digits so it was a good game,” said Kircher.

During the second half, Ford still had yet to score in the game. “I was just happy I finally scored because I was struggling the whole game,” said Ford.

The final score of the senior night game was 114-61. “I was proud that they went out and scored 114 points,” said senior Justin Hendrian. Scoring over 1oo points in a high school basketball game is something that has not happened in this area very often. This is the second time in three years that Meridian has scored over 100 points in a single game. Hendrian said, “It was a  great experience [being in the student section] to watch the kids I grew up playing with when I was younger. I know it must have been a very emotional game for them.”

Kircher has previously been close to breaking Meridian’s single player scoring record of 42 points in a single game. However, Tuesday was the night he finally broke the record. At the start of the fourth quarter, coach Jay Driscoll leaned over to coach Dustin Clark and said, “I’m only giving him four minutes.” Kircher was only two points away from tying the record at that point. Kircher amassed a total of 5o points for the game. “I think that that was a good way to go out on senior night,” Kircher said with a laugh.