IESA 8th grade girls basketball

Payton VanKampen, for the Homer Glen Homer Mustangs, makes two clutch freethrows to put her team up during the final seconds in a nail biter of a game.

Justin Hendrian

Justin Hendrian

Justin Hendrian, Reporter

This year, Meridian High School was selected to host state for 8th Grade Girls Basketball. With the recent addition of a new gym, Meridian got the chance to showcase the new facility.

“I think it was a wonderful opportunity that we were able to showcase our facility, that was the goal in mind. I think it was a really well-run tournament, and I also think the IESA was really impressed at our facility and some of the extra things we did so that it was more than just another game,” stated Mary Jane Hayes, Middle-School Athletic Director.

We entered the tournament by going onto the IESA website, and let them know that we were interested in hosting state, and they chose our school.

“I think this is very beneficial for the younger girls to learn, what they are going to be playing in when they get older,” Meridian student Riley Brelsfoard stated.

This is a learning experience since all of these girls have not reached high school yet. In high school, it is more competitive since all of these teams have made it to the state tournament, so they will have high expectations to live up to.

Superintendent Brue stated, “We are able to show IESA that we are capable of organizing and putting together a state tournament.”

The competition in this tournament is very intense both the teams and parents are very vocal during these games. If you are looking for something to do you should come on down and spectate these games- it will be a good way to spend your night.