Macon County’s new police training facility

What are they building there? Macon County is building a state-of-the-art police training facility. The project is expected to be finished in fall of 2017 or spring of 2018.

What are they building there? Macon County is building a state-of-the-art police training facility. The project is expected to be finished in fall of 2017 or spring of 2018. "At that location, you're gonna have a basic academy. Less than three miles from there, there is a canine academy already going on. We're bringing everything here, locally, to central Illinois, for law enforcement to benefit law enforcement and the state of Illinois," shares Sheriff Thomas Schneider.

Sydney Moore

Sydney Moore

Sydney Moore, Reporter

In fall of 2017 or the spring of 2018, Macon County will open its new police training facility. Over $15 million will be put into the project by the time it is finished. The buildings are located next to Rotary Park and Red Tail Run Golf Course. The completed project will include dormitories, an administrative building, firing range, and scenario-based training rooms. There are two buildings already standing, the dormitories and the administrative, classroom, and gymnasium building.

“The need was to provide a state-of-the-art facility that will be able to train police officers now and into the future, to give them the housing they need, the training area, the classrooms that are needed. As we go on, the need for training becomes more and more,” shares Lieutenant Jonathan Butts.

The project is being funded by the Howard G. Buffet Foundation. Champaign’s training facility was looking to expand and they were hoping to grow in Champaign, but Howard Buffet’s foundation is meant to benefit areas where he has projects.

As of right now, there are no plans to build any restaurants in correspondence with the traffic that will be created. But, it is planned for the project to create several jobs, such as: janitors, administrators, teachers, etc.

“Law enforcement state-wide will benefit. But our local economy is gonna benefit too because they are developing an area that has been under-developed for some period of time. The community’s gonna benefit from it, it’s gonna increase the number of jobs in the area, and hopefully growth in that area,” says Sheriff Thomas Schneider.

The classes taught will be in correspondence with Western Illinois University’s law enforcement program. The facility will offer basic and advanced law enforcement classes. The building will hold approximately 80 cadets.

“At that location, you’re gonna have a basic academy. Less than three miles from there, there is a canine academy already going on. We’re bringing everything here, locally, to central Illinois, for law enforcement to benefit law enforcement and the state of Illinois,” comments Sheriff Thomas Schneider.