Jefferson or Burr? Choose! But, why not both?

Congratulations! Tiffany Reed and Jake Deetz are showing off their IHSA 2017 All State certificates. Reed and Deetz received the award for their  performances as Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson/ Marquis de Lafayette.

Congratulations! Tiffany Reed and Jake Deetz are showing off their IHSA 2017 All State certificates. Reed and Deetz received the award for their performances as Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson/ Marquis de Lafayette. "Making the All State cast for Group Interpretation was thrilling. Being chosen for the reward meant all of my hard work paid off," says Reed.

Corryn Brock

Corryn Brock

Sophie Fiebig, Reporter

On Saturday, March 18, 2017, Meridian’s drama club went to Olympia High School in Stanford, IL., where they competed against several schools in the categories drama and group interpretation.

Even though neither of the shows, Walkin’ Home or Hamilton: The Revolution, made it to the state competition, both placing sixth in their categories, there were still two great achievements for Meridian’s drama program. Junior Jake Deetz and senior Tiffany Reed made the All-State Cast for their performances in the group interpretation of Hamilton: The Revolution.

Jake Deetz, who portrayed both Thomas Jefferson and Marquis de Lafayette says, “After not winning any awards for Walkin’ Home I was almost positive there would be one award at most for Hamilton, but boy was I wrong.”

Shortly after Deetz’s name was called as one of the All-State Cast members, laughter could be heard in the whole auditorium. “I felt so excited. When they called me I got up and did a little mini celebration and ran up onto the stage. Someone called me a pure angel because of my celebration.” Deetz put in a lot of hard work for this role, including giving Lafayette a French accent, which got some positive responses from the judges.

Tiffany Reed, who portrayed Hamilton’s rival Aaron Burr says, “Making the All-State cast for Group Interpretation was thrilling. Being chosen for the reward meant all of my hard work paid off.”

Reed’s preparation for her part as Burr included listening to the soundtrack and reading her lines just to get Burr’s character how she wanted it. “When I finally came up with my interpretation of Burr, I knew it was gonna be smooth sailing from there. All I had to do was memorize after that.” To be in the All-State Cast, actors need at least three of the five judges’ votes. Reed got all five votes from the judges, earning herself the award for the second year in a row.

Deetz describes his win as even more special to himself, since one of last year’s All-State Cast members included his older sister Marty Deetz, a Meridian graduate. His facebook post after the award ceremony even states, “Carrying on the Deetz tradition of winning All State awards.”

Both Deetz and Reed worked hard on their roles for both shows, with their performances in Hamilton: The Revolution winning them the All-State award.