Prepare for your first time

Some Meridian students were unable to donate blood for various reasons. The blood drive was held on Friday March 3 and over 80 people were signed up to donate.

arstechnica.com

Some Meridian students were unable to donate blood for various reasons. The blood drive was held on Friday March 3 and over 80 people were signed up to donate. "The softball team is asked not to give by their coach and I don't recommend track sprinters give blood at this time because they are training too hard. Other than that, people on certain medications, people that have been to certain areas in Mexico because of Zika virus are not allowed to give," tells Ms. Rappé.

Sydney Moore, Reporter

When people turn 16, most receive a lot of freedom. They can now drive, become organ donors, and donate blood. As you experience these freedoms, you learn that they also come with responsibilities. Some students learned this on Friday March 3, when Meridian National Honor Society (NHS) held their first blood drive of 2017.

“I could not donate blood because I pierced my ears with an unsterile needle. We sterilized the needle but it wasn’t up to hospital standards and was not done in a regulated facility,” tells sophomore Hanna Czerniak, “I was frustrated that I could not donate blood, but I would rather them keep others safe by making sure all blood has good iron and hemoglobin levels and has no diseases that could harm a patient.”

You must know your previous medications, have not traveled to specific countries, and have good iron levels. The Red Cross has a long list of all these things that they go through with you on the day of your donation. 15 people were unable to donate for various reasons.

“I was very excited to donate but sadly there were complications. I had gotten a shot within the last 8 weeks. I’ll be more prepared next time in August,” sophomore Delaney Brooks shares.

If you are hoping to donate blood in the future, keep records of medications, vaccinations, make sure piercings are done in a proper facility, etc. If you are looking for information about upcoming blood drives, the information can be found on the Meridian website on the NHS page.

“You always want to be sure you are fully hydrated and you want to have drank a lot of liquids the night before and the morning of. A month ahead of time you need to be sure you are getting a lot of iron-rich foods, red meats, and anything with vitamin C  that would help you absorb iron from your diet,” Ms. Rappé tells tips to prepare to donate.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Prepare for your first time”

1. Riley R Brelsfoard on March 10th, 2017 10:09 am

I liked this article, and I think that all schools should help donate blood to those in need. Next year I plan on donating blood with my fellow piers. This article did a great job of informing me on preparing for the blood drive, I didn’t know you could prepare so much for it.

[Reply]

2. Megan Hill on March 31st, 2017 2:06 pm

I donated blood for the first time this year, I was very scared but the people from the red cross made it very easy. This article does a great job of informing people how to prepare for the blood drive and what kinds of things to avoid.

[Reply]

• Prepare for your first time

Meridian lands journalism success at sectionals

• Prepare for your first time

Macon County’s new police training facility

• Prepare for your first time

Student teacher gets job for next year

• Prepare for your first time

Meridian Middle School preforms at Busch Stadium

• Prepare for your first time

Here in my second home – all about Meridian’s exchange student

• Prepare for your first time

Jefferson or Burr? Choose! But, why not both?

• Prepare for your first time

Where did the time go?

• Prepare for your first time

Transgender bathrooms: what students think

• Prepare for your first time

Mark it off the bucket list, Meridian Moments made the SISPA Golden Dozen

• Prepare for your first time

1920’s board game

Prepare for your first time