Hunger Games meets The Bachelor

Due: never! The Selection, and the following books in the series, are available in the Meridian High School library to be checked out. Be warned, you might enjoy the book enough to want to not return it after you are finished.

TillieAnn Boliard

TillieAnn Boliard, Editor-in-Chief

America Singer and 34 other girls compete to win the heart of Illéa’s prince, Maxon Schreave, in a nationally televised competition known as The Selection.

The description listed on Goodreads (goodreads.com), a website with a variety of information on books and authors, captures this series perfectly. America Singer is a Five in the caste system, her family consisting of only musicians and artists by birth, and “only three steps up from dirt.” America’s life revolved around her family, her music, and her secret boyfriend, Aspen, until she is whisked off to participate in a competition to wed the prince, Maxon Schreave, and live in the palace with 34 other girls, her competition. The story is focused on America and her time in the palace and the development of her feelings and character.

Screenshot! Goodreads has a variety of information about "The Selection" on their website, including rating, author, publisher, and page count. Goodreads reports that the book was published back on April 24, 2012, by HarperTeen. One of the 26,000+ reviews was written by a person under the username Krystal says, "This book is wow worthy."

Goodreads
Screenshot! Goodreads has a variety of information about The Selection on their website, including rating, author, publisher, and page count. Goodreads reported that the book was published back on April 24, 2012, by HarperTeen. Over 26 thousand reviews have been written for this book. A Goodreads user under the username Krystal says, “This book is wow worthy.”

The series, written by Kiera Cass, consists of four published books: The Selection, The Elite, The One, and The Heir. The first, The Selection, was listed on the 2015 Abraham Lincoln list. A fifth book, The Crown, is set to come out to stores on May 3, 2016, though the third book ends in a way that could lead readers to believe The One is the end of the series. Senior Nicole Cromwell was unaware the series continued on after The One, and while senior Julianna Mendenhall and teacher/librarian Mrs. McKinney did know this fact, they are both yet to read the remainder of the series.

Without giving too much away, these three did have things they were not very fond of. Cromwell stated that she found the author’s writing style to be somewhat “juvenile” and was frustrated with the love triangle persisting throughout the series. Mendenhall also voiced her displeasure with the love triangle, “I think I would have liked her to be more straightforward in the second book with her boyfriend.”

Don’t let those facts discourage you, though, because there are many good parts to this series as well. The most mentioned of these is America’s character- she’s opinionated, strong-willed, independent, and fights for what she believes in, even if it upsets the people above her. Cromwell says, “The best part probably is someone fighting the system, fighting for what they believe in, fighting something that is unfair. And that’s what’s happening all over the world, that’s what people fight for. That’s what hooked me, that’s what kept me going.” Readers related back to this series in different ways at times, and then others, not so much. Cromwell and McKinney state that they could relate to the series because they too try their best to stand up and fight for what they believe in.

A story is truly spectacular when the emotions on the page can make you feel something, and this is proven true by this series. Though different moments of the series had different people searching for the box of tissues, some of the bigger moments were during the beginning, when America’s secret boyfriend, Aspen, encouraged her to enter her name in the drawing to be in the Selection, and during the death of someone close to America.

This series isn’t just fluff and romance, though, it does have a bit of fluff and a lot of romance, it also gives each reader a message to take with them after they have finished it. “My personal take was kind of don’t pass up any opportunities and also be straightforward and don’t just keep things in, you’ve got to talk to people and have good communication skills,” says Mendenhall. Cromwell took the story differently, however, and believes that the message was to never give up. McKinney joked that the lesson of the book was, “Don’t kiss other girls boyfriends,” and while that is still very good advice, she then says, “You want to be loved for who you are.”

The series was able to capture the interest of these three and hold it to the very end, or at least until the third book. McKinney says, “It’s where The Bachelor meets the Hunger Games.” This book is aimed for the female audience, but that shouldn’t discourage the male population from picking it up and giving it a shot. If you like dystopian worlds, a bit of action, royalty, or if you are a hopeless romantic, this is truly the series for you. Mendenhall, who helps out in the library during study hall in the afternoons, highly recommends this series to readers. But don’t stop with The Selection, McKinney says, “If you’ve already read this series, read the series Shatter Me,” which is written by Tahereh Mafi.

Pick up The Selection by Kiera Cass in the Meridian High School Library today, you won’t regret it.