Rogue One: “Jyn”uinely a new favorite Star Wars film

I am one with the force, the force is with me. Rogue One acts as a sidequel to the original Episode IV. Follow the story of the Jedi's attempt to retrieve the Sith's Death Star plans. This film arrived in theaters December 16, 2016, but you can still see it for a short time!

StarWars.com

StarWars.com

Sadie Scott, Reporter

If you’re a nerd, like me, you know Star Wars. You know every character, every battle, every plot; but have you ever thought about the backstories behind your favorite films?

Rogue One, which is out in theaters now, goes in depth explaining how the Rebellion grew and how they retrieved the plans for the Imperial Death Star.

You may remember those who appeared in the original Star Wars trilogy; beloved characters like Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C3-PO, and RD-D2. Although Rogue One takes place in the same setting as the original, many new characters are introduced, including: Jyn, played by Felicity Jones, Cassian, played by Diego Luna, Chirrut, played by Donnie Yen, Baze, played by Jiang Wen, and K-2SO, voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Why are there new characters if this story is in the same universe as the original? Rogue One is not considered a prequel to Star Wars Episode IV, but it is considered a sidequel. A sidequel is when a story takes place during the same time as the original, but shifts its focus to other characters and another plot.

Rogue One follows the story of Jyn Erso, as she has her father, Galen Erso, taken from her as he is forced to join the Imperial forces. Many years later, Jyn has been arrested and rescued by Rebel forces. There, Jyn discovers her father is heading construction on the Imperial Death Star. She also discovers that he has hidden a small flaw in the design, holding the ability to destroy it. Jyn joins with Rebel forces, including Cassian and K-2SO to steal the plans for the death star and deliver them to the Rebel Alliance in hopes to destroy it.

Although some people hold a prejudice to liking any Star Wars movie that isn’t in the original trilogy, I really enjoyed seeing the film with its new perspective on the story. I found it really interesting to see how the story unfolded, bringing us the first episode and, of course, I enjoyed the little details they added that nod to the first movie.

I don’t often see a movie where I know the outcome of the story, but I don’t know anything that will happen along the way.

While I found the entire movie absolutely fantastic, my favorite part was an appearance of one of my favorite original Star Wars characters. Who it is, I won’t say. You’ll have to see it for yourself in theaters to find out! I highly recommend this movie for its beautiful storyline that shows both action and touchy-feely moments, the beautiful pictures and amazing visuals that show we’ve come a long way since 1977, and for the characters that you’ll fall in love with quickly because they are so well written and developed throughout.

I also recommend this film because Diego Luna is a dreamboat.