Group of teens discover secret time machine- things get out of control

AMC Movie News

AMC Movie News

Zach Stair, Staff Reporter

Have you ever wished you could go back in time and change something you did? Maybe retake a test you failed? Possibly try harder to get that girl you always liked? No matter who you are you’ve had an experience sometime in life that after that certain event you thought to yourself, “I wish I could do that again.” Project Almanac is just that, four friends realized they’ve been granted the opportunity to use a fully functioning time machine.

The general idea of time travel is very intriguing but also far fetched at the same time; it’s common knowledge that time travel isn’t possible (unless you’re going 88 mph) so naturally we as humans think about the situations that would occur if time travel really was possible. The story opens as main character David Raskin (Jonny Westin) and his group of friends Quinn Goldberg (Sam Lerner), Adam Le (Allen Evangelista), and his sister Christina Raskin (Virginia Gardner) are desperately trying to win a video competition for school which has a first place prize of a full scholarship to an exclusive engineering college. The experiment works well but ends drastically and as the result of that David is only able to receive a $5,000 grant which won’t come close to covering the expenses of his college of choice. In result he is left with many unanswered questions about his future and without his consent his mom attempts to sell their house to cover the costs. Feeling horrible about this, David continues to search for an experiment worthy enough for him to get a scholarship, his dad who passed away when he was seven and will also play a HUGE role in the movie was a physics engineer and had left him many projects in the works and as the movie progresses, David finds the secret plans of a time machine that will drastically change not only his life but the lives of everyone he knows.

Through trial and error of getting the machine in working condition which honestly takes too long, they’re able to get the machine working and soon realize they have the power to do anything they want due to the fact they can now time travel successfully and fix all of their problems. Rules are set for using the time machine and one of the most crucial is that nobody is to use the machine alone, when one person jumps so does everyone. Without spoiling the entire plot of the movie, the teens do plenty of things that anyone who has this power of time travel would do. As many successful trips go by, David decides to test his luck and jump alone which turns out to be the worst decision of his life. By doing this he creates a ripple effect which put simply is the spreading results of an event for example, if you went back in time and changed something you did it might change 10 other things in due time even though those actions weren’t your intentions. As Quinn Goldberg, one of David’s best friends says sarcastically, “You have to kill Hitler. That’s like Time Travel 101.”

David finds this out very quickly and things start happening in his life which are so drastic he wished he hadn’t time traveled in the first place.  That very reason will cause David to travel back far enough to when the time machine hadn’t even been found yet. The moral of the story is don’t let opportunities in life slip by because down the road you might wish you had taken that opportunity, and if your dad doesn’t have a time machine hidden in the basement, you won’t have much luck with doing that.

Overall the movie was very enjoyable in the moment – before you have the chance to ask too many questions largely due to its likeable cast and exciting situations, but realistically  the movie has many holes and scenes which would be physically impossible. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the idea of the teens time traveling which initially has interior logic, grows unconvincing and then illogical. That being said keep in mind the movie is about time travel and can’t be taken too seriously but is worth the 120 minute running time if you’re intrigued by this type of movie.