Before I Fall

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Before I Fall tells the story of a girl and her three best friends walking through high school as if it were a kingdom and they were queens who have it all.  The day when you think nothing could go wrong and you’ll wake up tomorrow, that doesn’t happen in this story.

Popular girl Samantha Kingston thinks a lot about what she’s done throughout her seventeen years of life as she relives her last day, February twelfth, over and over again. In all, Samantha is given seven chances to figure out what went wrong and what chain of events brought about her death. Seven opportunities to change and make things right. Seven days to save herself. Beginning on Cupid Day, which is a day where students were judged upon by each other by the amount of Valograms (roses with a note attached) they have, Sam believes that today will be a normal day in her charmed life. Sam gets to school and the day starts out normal. But when she gets invited to a party at an old friend’s house, things take a turn. That night was originally supposed to be the night for Sam and her boyfriend to take their relationship to the next level, but he isn’t even there for her that night. Then in comes Juliet Sykes, a girl who isn’t well liked at school and Samantha and her friends refer to her as Psycho. Juliet approaches the girls and things become bad, breaking into a fight. After the fight the girls leave and head home. On the way home, the girls begin talking about how they’d want to die. Then it happens. The road is wet and slippery and Lindsay, the girl who is driving isn’t paying attention. They slide off the road, and Sam starts to think of a friend and how she was always mean to her, and then the next thing Sam knows she’s laying in her bed, repeating February twelfth.

I absolutely recommend this book. When I first started it, I thought it wasn’t that good. It just talked about high school preps and it seemed kind of stereotyped with the drama, but as I kept reading, it got better. As Sam repeats each day, she changes something and tries figuring out what she did wrong. And in the end, she realizes the definition of humanity, and what it means to be a good friend. One thing I do have to say that this book is for young adult readers. Children should be advised when reading this book due to some of the topics covered. I’ve read this book twice and it was actually better the second time. I was surprised on the ending though. I expected her to face her consequences for her actions, but I can’t reveal what happens, you’ll have to find out yourself.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Before I Fall”

1. Ellie Landrus on April 2nd, 2014 9:04 am

Great article, it sounds like quite a good book. It’ll be the next book I check out from the library.

[Reply]

2. Jessica White on April 8th, 2014 9:06 am

I dont ever like to read but this book might be worth reading. Great article!

[Reply]

3. Carly Goodman on April 8th, 2014 9:37 am

Seems like a pretty good book actually, and I don’t even read.!!

[Reply]

4. Katie Petrowsky on May 5th, 2014 8:57 am

I like the cliffhanger you left at the end of the article, makes me want to read it!

[Reply]

• Before I Fall

Arts & Entertainment

The show must go on

• Before I Fall

Arts & Entertainment

The not so Great Gatsby

• Before I Fall

Arts

Competitive arts

• Before I Fall

Arts & Entertainment

For Honor, best game?

• Before I Fall

Review

Dear Evan Hansen: I’d listen to it… “for forever”

• Before I Fall

Arts & Entertainment

Neato buffalitos

• Before I Fall

Theatre

Annie Jr.: The Musical

• Before I Fall

Restaurants

Froyo is never a no-go at Cocomero

• Before I Fall

Movies

Split opinions on Split.

• Before I Fall

Video Games

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Before I Fall